Chapter 15

"Detention?!" Dennis exclaimed.

We were currently sitting in chemistry class and the teacher had given us some work to complete with our partners.

My partner Dennis and I had finished ours during the first 10 minutes of the class. He had noticed my glum mood and asked me about it and I told him everything that happened in the hallway.

"Yes" I responded to his out burst. "And talk softer" I said in a hushed tone, looking at some of the students who were staring at us because of Dennis's outburst.

He looked around and noticed then too and gave me a sheepish smile and mumbled a 'sorry'.

"Detention?" He whisper- shouted.

"Yes Dennis. I got a detention" I said for the umpteenth time.

"Dete-"

"Yes! A detention! I got a detention!" I shouted.

"And you'll get one more if you continue talking so loud" I looked up at the teacher who had spoke those words. His was looking up through his glasses that was resting on the edge of his nose. He gave me an accusing glare.

"S-s-s-sorry s-sir" I mumbled and he nodded his head and went back to read the paper in front of him.

I glared at Dennis. "See what you did? All you boys do is get me in trouble" I said and shook my head. I saw a look of hurt flash through his eyes. I instantly felt guilty about what I said.

"I'm sorry. It wasn't your fault. I should've been more quiet" I said.

"It's ok. I would've done the same thing if I was in your place." He said with a shrug. "I was just shocked that you got a detention. Aren't you, like, a nerd?"

I paused and looked at him.

Way to be blunt Dennis.

He seemed to have realized what he had said because his eyes momentarily widened and he began rambling. "I'm so sorry...I didn't mean it in that way.....I just....well I just....I...well...see umm........well I...... it's not that I.......umm....I was just...... sorry?"

I burst out laughing at his embarrassed expression. His cheeks were red and he held his head down in shame.

"It's ok Dennis" I said giving him a reassuring smile. "I know what you mean. And yes, I'm a nerd who got detention. Anything else?" I asked, raising an amused eyebrow.

He looked at me sheepishly and scratched the back of his head.
"No"

I laughed again. Watching Dennis fidget and squirm due to embarrassment was hilarious; truly the highlight of my life.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The moment I had with Dennis was short lived. Soon after that, the bell rung indicating that school was finished for the rest of the students, except for those who had detention, like me.

As I made my way toward the detention room, I saw Mason's girlfriend, Stacey, along with the rest of her friends, Lacey, Kaycee and Macy, Mason's sister.

Stacey and her followers walked towards me, they're 4 inch heels clacking against the ground. Soon, they stopped and stood in front of me.

"Well, well, well" she started. "Our little friend Dorian" she sneered at me. She and her friends, along with Mason and his friends had always tried to make my life a living hell. They would do anything to make sure that I never experience even an ounce of happiness. Ever. And may I say, they were doing at very good job at it.

"Look" Lacey said pointing at me with her red painted nail. "Her outfit was soooo last century. What are you? 90?"

I looked at my all black outfit, from my black sweater, to my shorts to my converse. They seemed alright to me.

"Well would you look at that" Stacey said and smiled wickedly at me. "Her outfit really does look out of fashion. Let's fix that for you, shall we?" She then poured her drink on my head and all of them burst out laughing.

The cold liquid ran down my body drenching my hair and my clothes.

"See?" She said in her nasally voice. "All better" she smiled then she and her friends walked away.

This was unbelievable.

I was soaked from head to toe. I looked at my watch and saw that I had 7 minutes before detention started. I couldn't be late or else I would end up getting another one, and I could not have 2 detentions on my record.

I dashed down the hallway in the opposite direction to the bathroom and cleaned my myself as much as I could in the short space of time.

I tired drying my hair but it was still damp when I was done. I looked at my watch.

2 minutes.

I dashed out of the bathroom and in record time, I got to detention with 51 seconds to spare.

I walked into the room and saw Mr. Keller there, sitting at the desk with his arms crossed over his chest and his back leaning against the chair.

He looked up at me when I came in.  "Ms. Walker. I see you decided to join us" he gave me a tight smile. "Please have a seat"

I looked around and saw that there were about 15 people in the room. All of them were looking at me with wide eyes and open mouths. They were probably wondering what a nerd like me was doing in detention. Maybe news hadn't spread about what happened in the morning yet.

I saw a few empty chairs in the room but decided to sit at the one closest to the window at the back.

I sat down and Mr. Keller began talking.

"Ok. So for the next two hours, you people will be sitting in this room and you can talk but talk quietly. Under no circumstances will you be allowed to leave so if you need to use the bathroom....good luck with that. I will be leaving but I'll ensure to lock the door with a key" he said as he stood up from the seat. "Any questions?"

3 people raised their hands. "Good. No questions" he walked to the door and opened it. "Enjoy detention" he said then stepped out and locked the door.