Chapter 54

Dori's POV

The next morning was hell.

Kruz and Dennis had a hangover and were loudly groaning  with every move they made causing the whole room to sound like a zombie habitat.

Micah was trying to make breakfast for all of us. Needless to say that he was very unsuccessful. The pancakes in the pan were black and there was smoke all over the kitchen. The eggs too were burnt, filling the kitchen with more smoke. He coughed and tried to fan the smoke away with his mitten, then just gave up and threw both pots in the sink and drowned them in water.

I would've laughed at the scene in front of me if it wasn't for the sucky mood I was in.

After Ryder had left I knew for sure that I wouldn't have been able to fall asleep. I kept Wondering what he was doing. If he was ok.

It was hard to tell whether he was mad at me or mad about the situation. Knowing Ryder, it could be both and neither.

Thinking about him gave me a headache so I decided to just forgo the breakfast, which was ruined anyways, and go upstairs to sleep.

As I turned to leave the chaos that was downstairs, I heard the front door open. I turned to see that it was Ryder.

My eyes instantly raked over  his figure, checking for any sign of bruising or injury. He was wearing a grey hoodie that looked a bit too small for him, and a black sweatpants. A wave of relief washed over me when I saw that he was ok, but it was immediately replaced with confusion and curiosity as my eyes spotted a red mark on his neck.

I instinctively stepped forward to observe it and the closer I got, I realized that it was a hickey.

I know for sure that I didn't give him a hickey.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that the man who I loved so much, who I would give my life for, had slept with another girl.

I looked up at him in shock and was met with emotionless blue eyes. For a moment, I swear I saw a bit of guilt in them, but it disappeared as soon as it came.

We stared at each other for a while, silently having a conversation.

How could you?

No answer.

A single tear ran down my face as we kept our eyes on each other.

"Dori?" I heard a distant voice call me as a hand rested on my shoulder. But I couldn't focus on that. Everything seemed distant, like the only thing that mattered was Ryder and I and what we did in that moment.

His face still wore an emotionless expression. It didn't take much more than that for the realization to hit me. He cheated on me.

Well not cheated since we weren't official but still.

My heart felt as if it was caving in on itself. There was a huge lump in my throat that refused to go down no matter how much I forced it.

I couldn't stand there and look at him while he just stared at me with a blank face. I didn't miss how the muscle in the jaw ticked though. I turned around just as a tear fell from my eye and ran up the stairs and into my room, desperately trying to get air into my lungs as quiet sobs racked my body for the rest of the day.
::::::::::*:::::::::*:::::::::*:::::::::*::::::::::
As I stared out my window at 6 in the evening, I couldn't help but wonder why I felt so sad and disappointed.

I should have expected this. I knew I couldn't be happy. Yet I clinged to hope. I had expectations which is why I only ended up with disappointments.