17 | Satra

17 | Satra

"Kartavya." Indira said.

She was bathing pleasure. She was worse than a foolish child, a child was ignorant because of its innocence, she was ignorant because it was her choice. Everything she did was sardonic and sadistic. She dipped herself in the rivers of wickedness and made everyone's life a living hell.

"Kartavya?" Lekh could feel his head bursting, "You are going to name Lekh and Tara's child Kartavya?"

Lekh couldn't even imagine how Tara would feel if she found out about this. If this happened, she would be reminded every second of her entire life that her first husband was dead, she was married to his brother and that a mockery was made out of her child's name by her mother-in-law. All, just by looking at her child.

"Yes, what's wrong in it?" she asked, as if it was the most normal thing in the world. Lekh massaged his forehead in aggravation. If he hadn't been taught to not do it, if it was not against his morals (what he had managed to sustain anyway), he would describe his mother in a singular word that would sum up her entire personality. Idiot.

His mother, hands down, was an idiot. Nothing else was more apt, but of course, he would never use it for her.

"You do not have any rights to name the baby. It will either be Ramya or Arti." He said factually, it was the tradition after all. Traditionally, it wasn't the parents who named a new born, but the father's sisters who did the honours. Since Ramya was the older among the two sisters, she would name the baby, who by the way could be a girl too. It was a relief that the decision making wouldn't be Arti's responsibility because it wasn't unknown that she was a dedicated server to their mother for whatever reasons. Indira could get Arti to name the baby what she wanted in a wink. She couldn't do that with Ramya. Lekh loved both his sisters, but he would always prefer Ramya as a confidant over Arti.

Indira frowned, "Well, I am sure they'll consider my suggestion, I am pretty sure Ramya will listen to me." She said, feigning confidence in her elder daughter.

Lekh scoffed. In hell was that going to happen. Lekh knew exactly what she was going to do, she was going to ask Tara in private what she wanted to name her child, for all he knew, they might have already discussed it.

Lekh often wondered how his siblings turned out better than their parents, out of all the mysteries in the world, this one was one of the most fascinating.

Instead of telling his mother to leave, he politely ignored her and left his own room. His mother could have all she wanted to have except his attention. He heard her calling from behind but that didn't really matter. As he was walking down the stairs to leave the house, his phone vibrated in his pocket.

It was a message from Pankhuri, that little brat was so perky it hurt his head.

Opening the messenger app, he found pictures of Tara and almost automatically, he felt his brain easing into a sense of euphoria. Tara brought a sense of calmness with her and it funny because her calm tickled you in the heart.

She was dressed in a blue anarkali, the skirt of the dress falling low beneath her knees. The sequences on the dress glittered resonating with the sparkle in her eyes and for once Tara looked happy.

And for once, he felt happy too.