Chapter Six

After he left, I admit I just sat there trying to numb my brain and keep thoughts of Xavier from yesterday at bay.

I paced as I waited for him to return with his toys. I felt like a sitting duck in this hotel room, or more like a caged animal. The angels knew I was in Ireland, obviously. Why weren’t they doing anything? What was keeping Zella away? Why had Sarah held Amelia back? What were the angels plotting for me? I shuddered at the thought.

I continued those thoughts as I took a shower and rinsed all of the temporary dark dye out of my hair. Looking in the mirror, I felt and looked so much better; the dark hair had made me look so pale and sickly. I ordered room service because I was starving and sat down with it on the bed. I glanced at the digital clock every so often. Time was ticking away.

“Xavier had better not have gotten his rich ass kidnapped or something.” I sighed and ran my fingers through my drying hair, attempting to detangle it.

Nothing was on TV so I settled for the news. Movies and soap operas weren’t really interesting to me.

Another nuked city. Why? I don’t know. Humans know it doesn’t work. This is exactly why people quit trusting the government, but they forgot about those reasons once the war started.

More rumors of the whereabouts of the “secret Angel base.” I’m pretty sure the angels didn’t even have one and I’m sure they think it’s amusing that the humans are so worried about it.

The human death toll rising, almost to three billion people.

More countries surrendering and taking an oath to the angels. Most of the third world countries have fallen. All of Africa has.

“This is our reality, our nightmare. The humans act innocent but they are addicts. Addicted to angel blood, money, power, fame, vanity. The list could go on. Mankind will be the death of this planet.” I say to the empty hotel room, above the noise of the TV. “Can’t they see what they’re doing?”

I thought about the sides, as I often do. The humans versus the sixteen angels. It seemed impossible for the humans to win, but does that mean I should fight for them? They want me dead, after they’re finished with me of course. I thought about the angels. I almost am one of them and, after all, the humans definitely made an example of ostracizing me. Surprisingly, I barely know anything about them. Their creation, their fall, or any conflicts among themselves have been blocked from my knowledge. Was my father too ashamed to think about it or was this God interfering?

Before I make my concrete and final decision, which I had been leaning towards for some time, I need to know everything. No more secrets from the angels. I needed to talk to one of them but I know no one would tell me anything.

Well, maybe…

I closed my eyes and bowed my head slightly, coming to a resolution. I told myself I’d never do this again, but I guess people lie to themselves all the time. I promised myself I’d never see him again. “Never come near me again,” the last thing I had screamed at him behind my tears before he disappeared from my life forever.

I opened my eyes and whispered the ancient angel language. The Angellican flowed like liquid over my tongue, in ringing treble and bass tones. I could see my voice reflect the sunlight and spread out through the room. The shimmering ribbons of light, at least that’s what they look like to me, disappeared into the walls in search of him. The language was so complex and strange, unlike any other language in the world. Humans couldn’t see it like I could, or even hear it. Wherever he is, distance doesn’t matter, he would know it’s me. I had called only him, so no other angels would hear my call.

I waited for him to arrive, picking at my nails, biting my lip, and a knot rolling inside my stomach.

And then, he was here. A heavenly voice, one that stirred the feelings inside me I thought had settled. “Hello, lover.”