Chapter Thirty

-Aimee, Hell-

This wasn’t the end; I knew that because I woke up in the ash again. Honestly, I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to be glad to be alive or not. I opened my eyes and tried to bring air into my burning throat, attempting to find the cavern’s ceiling. The ash had made my skin black and dry, sticking and mixing with my sweat. I patted the ground around me and found my water bottle. I downed the whole thing gratefully and ate a granola bar. I wasn’t going to get up because I wasn’t sure if I could. My body screamed enough just laying here.

Something padded over to me and laid against me. It was Venus, back in dog form. I stroked her fur and rested, simply not caring enough to actually think about what had just happened. The crackling fires, crashing boulders, and the echoes from the other Hellhounds were not comforting. I was still scared of Azazel and Lucien. I wondered where they were, but on the other hand, I didn’t want to find out. I started singing to myself to cover up the creepy sounds.

Venus and I lied there for a long time. I lost track of how long, but I didn’t care. Time wasn’t important here. I kept singing the song over and over again. I suppose I could spend forever this way, if I had to…

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I remember, someone was scooping me up and out of the ash. I suppressed my urge to jump away when I saw it was Lucien.

He smiled. “Your singing was amazing. I wish it had never stopped.”

“Where is Azazel?”

“Gone.”

“How? What did you do to her?”

“You wouldn’t want to know. There are… Ways.”

“You’re right, I don’t want to know.” I paused. “So what else haven’t you told me about this place?”

“I’m sorry but --”

“No, it’s alright. I’m used to people leaving out details when they think it will protect me by not telling me everything.”

He sighed. “Let’s just go home first.”

“Yes, please.”

We arrived in the master bathroom. I tried to take off my clothes but my muscles wouldn’t allow it. Lucien eased them off of me and gave me little massages and kisses. We took a shower together and talked.

“So how did you even get out of here in the first place?” Lucien asked, while washing my hair for me. I washed my body, as slow as possible.

“The forest.”

“Damn, I forgot to refresh the wards.”

“Something chased me in there and then the forest just disappeared and I fell.”

“It was another demon. And the forest, if that’s what you saw, was a transition place. It’s where the borders of Hell’s Circles are muddied and blurred together.”

“A demon like… A succubus or a demon like you and Azazel?”

“Like me.”

“How many of them are there?”

“In total, sixteen.”

“Like the angels.” I murmured.

“Honestly, be glad you ran into Azazel. The others are much, much worse.”

I shivered. “That’s hard to imagine.”

“I’m so sorry that I never told you. I didn’t want you to be afraid.”

“Was that why you were so afraid to show my the the rings of Hell?”

“Yes, because I couldn’t hide you there.”

“So do the angels have another form like you do?”

“Not that I know of. Besides, it would be a cute little bird or something.”

I chuckled as I thought of it. Now that would be interesting to see. We were quiet for a long time until I looked back at him and smiled.

“What is it?”

My smile turned into more of an impish grin. “You look horrible.”

“So do you.” He winked. His hand went down to gingerly touch my neck. I winced. “I am so sorry, Aimee. I’ll never forgive myself.”

“Shhh.” I murmured. “It’s not your fault.” I pressed my forehead to his and looked into his eyes before I gave him a long and soft kiss. I pulled away after awhile, breathless, and smiled at him.

He returned my smile and then kissed me with a hunger I couldn’t even describe. He pushed me up against the shower wall, pinning my arms above my head with one hand and his other holding me up by my butt. I wrapped my legs around him but groaned.

“What is it?”

“I hurt so bad, all over.” I frowned. “Way to ruin the moment.” I reached over and turned the knob to the right, ending the stream of hot water. I kissed him again and he set me down, grabbing towels for both of us.

We dried off and got into bed. Lucien let me stretch out before wrapping his arms around me, just because he knew me that well. Lucien looked down at me, twisting his fingers in between mine and bringing my left hand up to his lips. His eyes sparkled as he kissed my wedding ring.

“I love you.”

“And I love you.”

I craned my neck and kissed him softly, his hands cupping my face, cradling it like I was a fragile bird. It was cute. No sickeningly sweet, heartfelt words or apologies were needed. I loved him and he loved me. We both knew that. We would make this work; the demon and the Nephilim girl would find a way because, honestly, what else could we do?

We had time.

This was forever.