Chapter Eight

“Oh, shit!” I barely remembered to keep my voice down.

I heard something move behind me and my right leg automatically lashed out and connected with nothing but air.

My scope only found a dozen more bodies laying on the ground. I was so tense I had to force myself not to shake. I backed into the lighted stairwell. I tapped on the wall until I found the spot I wanted. I punched a hole in the wall and my fist came out with wires. I quickly hotwired the lights to turn on, keeping one eye on the room.

Something was in there, I knew it. With the lights off, I was at a serious disadvantage. They could see me somehow, but I couldn’t see them.

The lights flickered on and now I wish they hadn’t.

The tenth level had been a lab, separated into cubicles by glass walls. Now, all the glass was shattered, tables and desks upturned, equipment broken, computers smashed, notes shredded, and the the evil, little mad scientists in white lab coats and guards in uniform were lying in crumpled heaps. They had been brutally murdered; throats slashed, necks broken, arms and legs ripped from their sockets and thrown about, even abdomens had been tore open, intestines spilled out from their cavities. Blood washed the walls red.

Red, red, red everywhere.

“So,” I chuckled nervously. “The angels got out.” I sighed. “Fantastic.”

Suddenly, there was a flicker. Whether it was the lights or my vision, I didn’t know. But now I could feel strong, able hands around my neck. I jerked my elbow backwards and rammed it into their ribs. Their gripped faltered for a second but that’s all I really needed. I grabbed both hands and quickly maneuvered myself so that the angel was in front of me as I pinned their arms to opposite sides of their body.

The angel, with long honey and wheat blonde hair and dangerous curves, was definitely female.

“Cecilia, it’s nice to finally meet you in person.” I chuckled into her ear.

“You! Human! You’re strong. You’ve had my blood!” She screamed in rage and struggled against my grip. “You will die a very slow, very painful death. Even worse than the others.” She jerked her chin towards the room. She tried to jerk her head back to hit me in the face with her skull, but I was anticipating that move and kept myself far enough away. She had a much smaller stature than I did and my long arms helped a bit. “Gabriel! Help me!”

I saw a flicker in the lab. “Gabriel, don’t.” The name felt foreign in my mouth.

He reappeared a few feet away from us and I was stunned. It’s so odd seeing your parent who appears to be the same age as you. This was the first time I had ever met him. We had the same color hair and his eyes were the exact same blue as mine, when mine turned blue, naturally. “You look familiar. Have we met before, human?”

“If we’ve met before, I certainly wouldn’t be here today.” I smirked, coyly.

He raised an eyebrow, amused with my bravery. “Who are you?”

“Stop playing games! Kill her already!” She hissed.

I shook her to be quiet. “I’m surprised you don’t remember me, your own daughter.” I said quietly.

“What?!” Cecilia screeched.

“Aimee? You were just a year old when I last saw you.” A look of pure horror crossed his face. “How old are you?”

“What are you talking about? You should very well know how old I am.”

“They froze us!”

“I’m twenty.” I said flatly.