Chapter Twelve

I let out an evil laugh and closed my eyes, thinking of my mother and simultaneously healing myself.

You can do so much more than you think you’re capable of.

I gathered all of my strength and pulled. The metal groaned, strained to contain me, and snapped because it was too weak. I hopped up and stole the pistol from the General’s holster. Scientist Two screamed, his eyes hadn’t been fast enough to track my movements. I shoved the metal into his mouth to quiet his screams, and then pieces of brain and shards of bone splattered the wall behind him. I liked how the red looked in contrast to the white.

The door burst open, hitting Scientist Three. It hit him with so much force, it plowed him in the opposite wall and crushed every bone in his body, instantly killing him. Blood sprayed that wall, staining it. It’s surprising how much blood is held in the human body.

I reappeared in front of Scientist One. My left hand punctured his chest, ignoring the breast plate and ribs which were supposed to protect his heart. They were no match for me. My fingers found what they were searching for and I gave a slight pull. I showed my prize to Scientist One before his eyes rolled back in his head and he collapsed. My hand was stained bright red up to my forearm and my fingers grasped something that was pulsing and steaming because of the cold.

His heart.

I crushed it between my fingers and let it flop onto his carcass.

Reven stood in the doorway. Rage would be describing his face mildly. His hair was cut short again, but other than that, he looked the same. Of course. “Aimee… I thought I’d never see you again.” Next thing I know, his lips smashed against mine.

“Aw, how cute,” The general remarked, adding poisonous sarcasm to his tone.

Reven disappeared from my sight and reappeared right behind the General, ready to snap his neck. The cruel man jumped, startled.

“No, Reven. Wait.”

“Why?”

“I want to draw this out. Slowly and painfully.” I smiled, letting the cold I felt in my heart show in my eyes. I shot out the General’s kneecap. To my surprise, he didn’t scream.

Well, that’s disappointing.

“Don’t kill me.”

I heard screams and laughs down the hall and some more even farther away. I ignored them, but it seemed like the other angels were having fun. “Why shouldn’t I kill you?”

“Because I can get you out of here.”

“Well, that’s unnecessary.”

Something slipped into his hand.

“Reven! Grab it!”

He appeared at my side with a little remote. It only had a red button on it. “A self-destruct button, I assume?” Reven gave me a quick kiss on the lips and with a slight squeeze of his powerful hand, the remote turned to dust.

“You just started it.” The General laughed. “Now I’m the only one who can help you.”

“I’m really getting sick of this. May I kill him now?” Reven was annoyed.

I ignored him. “What do you mean? We’ll just heal.”

“Why do you think I chose to have a base here?”

“Where’s here?”

“We’re on the moon.” Reven whispered. “The vacuum of space would crush our lungs. We would never get a chance to heal, and even if we did, they would collapse all over again.”