Chapter Twenty-Seven

-Aimee, Earth-

After over a year on Earth, I was finally growing tired. All this flying and teleporting, fleeing from the angels, and I was even crying. Most of my emotions had come back. I was angry, so angry that God had changed me, that I had changed so much, and that I had let go of everything I once stood for. I had never stopped loving Reven, but it was too late to act on that now. It was too late for forgiveness. It was too late for anything.

I was too far gone from reason that I decided anything was better than going back to Heaven, even if I destroyed them all. So I kept flying and teleporting, ignoring all their pleas sent into my mind. Even Michael was scared. I ended up back in Chicago, at the empty plot where my house I shared with Mom used to be.

I wonder why, after all this time, no one had built a new house. I was grateful, in a way. No one else had intruded and made their dreams here, where all of mine shattered. It was just grass and wildflowers. Mom loved plants, even weeds. She would like it. I picked a few daisies and Queen Anne’s Lace to make a bouquet and set it down on the curb.

“Love you, Mom.” I whispered and stopped by the house that used to be Xavier’s. Some other high end family lived in it now.

Everything I once had was gone, destroyed by me. I was a terrible person.

I felt sixteen fallen angels trying to teleport to me. My father, my lover, and even my best friend were going to try to force me back to Heaven. I flew into the air where they couldn’t reach me. The sun had only just left the sky but I knew I couldn’t take much more. Suddenly, they were all below me.

“I can’t believe you’re doing this.”

“KIlling us all.”

“Selfish.”

“It will all be your fault.”

“Just think, Aimee!” Reven’s voice echoed through my head. “I love you. Gabriel loves you. Hope loves you. We are the only people you have left. And you’re going to destroy us all. But maybe you don’t care anymore. After all, you don’t care about anything. You’re destroying yourself too. If we’re destroyed, so will you.”

“Listen you little…” I could hear Zella growl. “We know you’re exhausted. You can’t keep this up. A year without sleep takes its toll. We’ve all just woken up.” She laughed icily. Zella was such a bitch.

I kept hovering above Chicago, because it didn’t take as much energy as teleporting or flying. My wings slowly quit working and I lost altitude until my feet touched the ground. The angels surrounded me, shoulder to shoulder. No matter what, I would never be one of them. Sure, I could be an angel, but they have been together since almost the beginning of time. They were family; created together.

I could run, but that would take too much energy. I could still fight them all; I had to try.

“Don’t do this, Aimee.” Father said, pleading.

I clenched my fists, tears dripping onto the cement. “I’m not going back.”

The Cherub, Uriel, grabbed me from behind. I slammed my head and elbow back into him. A few loud cracks and I knew I had just shattered his nose and broken a few of his ribs. I took those few moments to make the knife I made materialize in my hand and slit his throat while he clutched his nose. I was instantly sprayed in blood as he fell to the ground. His partner, Raphael, roared in anger and charged at me, trying to tackle me to the ground. I twisted around and slipped the knife in between two vertebrae in his neck, the tip of the blade pierced his throat and force I used almost decapitated him.

More and more angels rushed at me and I made a copy of my knife. With a flick of my wrists, I let them fly. Each knife sunk into their designated target, between Cecilia and Amelia’s ribs, right in the heart. They flew backwards because of the force I put into it, the tip of the knife lodged into the brick wall of the alley.

Zella screamed in rage and tried to tackle me. Usually, it wouldn’t have phased me, but I was weak from my emotions and exhaustion. I stumbled but used her momentum to flip her over my head and slam her into the cement. The force I had used cracked the cement for yards in diameter around the crater her body had made. I picked her up by her dark blonde hair.

“You look like shit.” I smirked. Her whole face was flattened, missing pieces of flesh, cartilage, and bone. Very messy and very, very bloody.

She spat out blood and teeth. “So do you.”

I pulled out some of her hair. Her pain was obvious, even if she tried to hide it. “I’m going to enjoy this, a lot.”

Sarah tried to sneak up behind me but I punched her with my free hand and she flew. I looked back at Zella. With my long nails, I slashed out and peeled her skin away from her body. Everything was raw; pulsing veins, quivering muscle tissue, and white bone. She still wouldn’t scream so I lifted her up by her hair and threw her down. Her spine connected with my knee and made a devastating crack. She finally let out a scream that did not sound natural coming from an angel’s throat.

“I can’t moved my legs!” She shrieked.

I leaned down again and patted her bloody hair, looking into her flattened face that I had skinned. “Just like old times.” I slowly twisted her head all the way around, which made a series of scraping, grinding, and gnashing sounds.

I bared my teeth and fought them all for hours. Only Reven, Father, and Hope stood by because they refused to fight me. I was slipping… My movements becoming slower, my puffy eyes didn’t want to stay open, and they were getting hits in. I was losing.

The sky was growing lighter as Michael, Amelia, Cecilia, Sarah, Zella, Uriel, Raphael, Thaddeus, Adam, Elias, Marion, Belle, and Ariel surrounded me. I was weak, so weak… But they could heal.

This was the final fight. The last stand.