Chapter Ten

Sometime during the early morning, I woke up to an empty bed. I could hear voices downstairs. My father and Reven were talking.

“I don’t approve of this.” My father said in a stern voice.

“Gabriel, you know I don’t care.”

“But you, out of all people, why? I had asked you to watch over her, not become involved with her.”

“You disappeared, and I knew it had something to do with the humans, so I had to get closer to her to protect her.” Reven said, with a business-like tone.

“Do you assume that I’m going to believe that was your only reason?”

“No. But you’ve seen her, Gabriel. She’s a beautiful woman. She’s not like us, but not like the humans either.”

“What happened to Elizabeth? You were supposed to protect both of them. I trusted you with the things I held most dear, brother. You failed me.”

“I know I did. I don’t expect you to forgive me and I know this isn’t an excuse, but she was killed right after Aimee found out about my angel heritage and sent me away. She said she never wanted to see me again.”

“You never told her?”

“I assumed she knew, but I realized soon after that she didn’t.”

“Are you using her?”

“Why is it your business?”

“I am her father, Reven.”

“No, I’m not using her.”

“Do you genuinely care about her?”

“I do.”

There was a long pause before my father spoke again. He seemed satisfied with Reven’s answer. “I trust you, brother. Although, I am responsible for her now and if you hurt her, I will hurt you.”

“Understood.”

“Make sure she stays here for awhile.” He said no more, and I assumed he left.

Reven climbed back into bed with me and I pretended to be asleep. His arm wrapped around me and pulled me closer, making me feel safe. I fell back asleep like that.

* * *

I woke up in the master bedroom, sunlight filtered through the flimsy white curtains and the clock on the wall told it was was the afternoon. I was alone under the sheets, the spot next to me was no longer warm. When had he left? Usually I would wake up if someone moved beside me. Damnit, I’m not used to him anymore. I’ve lost my touch.  I sat up and stretched, my body screaming. He was right about the bruises, and he wasn’t careful with me this time. Everything was sore. I saw that on the edge of the bed was a white sundress and a note.

This would look beautiful on you. Also, I had to leave. My apologies, my love. Make yourself at home. After all, it’s yours now.

I admired his beautiful scrawling handwriting for a moment and slipped the sundress on over my head. I combed my fingers through my crazy hair and walked down the stairs to get a glass of orange juice from the kitchen. It felt like a dream. The house was quiet, full of light and space; it was like a safehaven, a secret place for lovers away from the world. I enjoyed the serenity as I finished the glass of orange juice.

I roamed about until I came across a stereo system and an idea hit me. I started playing a classical music playlist and stretched. The air was so light, it elevated my mood and I began to dance ballet. I never took any classes, I never needed any, but it was always something I used to enjoy. My long legs twirled and spun, as I kept correcting my posture. It’s been so long since I’ve been happy enough to do this and I was out of practice. Mother used to watch me dance when she thought I wasn’t paying attention. She was so human and never really understood how attuned my senses were.