15. War against reality

"Rule number nine: Vengeance is never your friend. Avoid seeking it. It's an active ingredient in the war against reality; and as much as you believe you can prevent it or do justice by it – the results have dire consequences. We have rules to abide by. To live and flourish by. Rule number ten: Don't break the rules. Remember what Pythagoras said: 'Silence is better than unmeaning words.' Rule number eleven: Don't sink to a level you can never recover from. 'False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.' When Socrates said that, we believe he meant do not tell lies as lies have a way of coming back and biting you in the ass; and corrupting your innocence. Yet in special cases, Transcendents will transcend against the dark forces using only wit and skill. When the war is at your door, use your words – not your powers. Transcendents don't want violence or death or bloodshed. Rudyard Kipling once stated, 'Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.' Words can either be medicine for the soul or toxic to the host – choose wisely. Don't open the war against reality unless needed."

- Transcendent Book of Life

"You're sure you are not dying on me?"

"Positive."

"You've lost a lot of blood in a short period of time. I don't need your death on my conscience."

"You worry too much." I just roll my eyes as I admire his phenomenal physique. "I do not."

Shaking his head with a chuckling laugh, "Yes. Yes you do." Then he tries to move, but realizes his body is far too weak to move. Mumbling under his hot breath, "This is not good. I need to leave." Bracing against his shoulders, I wiggle a finger and order him, "I do not think so. You can hardly stand yet alone fight. The answer is no. Stay put."

"I'm grasping at straws here. Do you ever listen to medical advice?"

"No...but that's me. This is you."

"Emma, you don't need to protect me like I am a defenseless child. Honestly, I am fine. No more blood seeping through." States Isaac as he pushes up from the couch; before I firmly push down on his shoulders causing him to wince in pain. In a worried tone, I reply back with "Is that supposed to make me feel better? Stay put." Throwing his hands up in defeat, he leans into me and asks, "Why do you care if I am dead or alive? Aren't we supposed to hate each other? Surely, you saw my effect on Poppy, did you not?"

Holding back a grin, I slyly say "Like you said...you're only half-Delphic which technically makes you a Cur – and they can be trusted. Can I trust you? I mean fear rattled the cage of the she-devil herself because of you – but I am sure you have your reasons."

"My father was a Delphian and my mother was a Transcendent. He killed her and raised me to hate your species...but I don't. If it were up to me, I'd find a way around the war."

"Do you tell your life story to people you just met or am I a special circumstance? Either way I should shut up...right?" I grin while pressing against his chest; batting my eyes as if I didn't just get out of a relationship a few weeks ago. His hand softly traces my leg before slowly moving up to my waist; and digging his elbow into my side. You want him. This is right. He'll get caught in the crossfire. Don't you love Eddie? This will sever any future you have with him. Don't take this any further. Em, do whatever you want.

His scent swallowed me whole. I had to know him whether it felt right or not. I curved my neck so he had better access; and therefore after his lips are moving up towards my ear as I fidget. Then he parts his cracked lips and kisses me. A sensation bolts through me as he begins deepening the kiss; moving his tongue around against mine; tracing my lips until I pull away. "We shouldn't..."