Chapter 20: Winter Ball

Hey! Italics symbolise memories, just want to assure you guys! Enjoy.

--

The Great Hall was decorated with gorgeous objects, some hung from the ceiling by spells, whilst others floated around. Hermione took one last glance at the Great hall and left for the Gryffindor common room – where she would get ready with her best friend. She began walking toward the tower, staring at the cold, hard ground and smiled to herself. It looks absolutely gorgeous. She thought. A larger smile was now placed on her face, after remembering the encounter her and Draco had with his mother. Narcissa insisted that Draco were to leave so that she and Hermione can spend some quality time together, in order for his mother to get to know Hermione better. Little did Hermione know that Mrs. Malfoy had gone out of her way and booked out the new gown store in Diagon Alley, so that Hermione were able to get the Malfoy Experience, and get to try on gowns without being disturbed.

"Mrs. Malfoy, isn't this bit... much?" Hermione asked as she wiggled her eyebrows in the mirror – staring at the reflection of herself in a large, red dress – somewhat looking like the red-queens in Alice in Wonderland. Narcissa sat in the chair, opposite Hermione – staring at the girl with knitted eyebrows.

"You're right, dear. That is a peculiar dress... Madam Jolley, please find us the most suitable dress, fit for a princess." Narcissa smiled up at Hermione as she noticed her cheeks flush red.

"This isn't necessary, Mrs. Malfoy. I had a dress back in the common room which I had gotten a few months ago with Ginny. I have only worn it once." Hermione said, staring at the elder witch with a smile, although she felt utterly guilty for the amount of effort Draco's mother had put in, in order for Hermione to find a dress.

"Nonsense, Hermione. I can assure you that this is completely fine. Draco wouldn't have wanted any less for the woman he adores," Hermione's cheeks flushed once more – staring at the ground. Her eyes shuffled to the scar that caressed her arm, her eyes suddenly felt wet as a thickness in her throat grew. Narcissa noticed her unsteadiness, seeing why, also. She stood up, walking toward Hermione. She embraced the young witch into a hug, one that Hermione hadn't expected and felt quite surprised as she was accustomed to glares from the Malfoy's, not affection. "Dear, I would like to apologise for...my family's behaviour in the past couple of years – toward you and your friends, especially," Narcissa pulled away, her arms still caressing Hermione's gently. Hermione stared into the beautiful brown eyes, one that took shape like the ones of her boyfriend. "Draco has always admired you. For your courage, and the fact that you are so bright. Don't mention this to him, but he has had feelings for you since fourth year. I'm not sure whether they grew or not, as we were both so occupied with other... circumstances that our family were involved in. But, I can see the way he looks at you, and knowing Draco the way I do, he has never shown so much affection, nor trust in a person as much as he does with you. I am reassuring you that no matter what Draco has put you through, it's only because he has had issues in the past – with trusting people... So please, dear, bear with him."

"Hermione!" A voice yelled. Hermione's gaze relaxed in the mirror staring at herself, seeing the red-haired girl standing behind her. "Did you hear what I said?" Ginny asked with an angry expression, continuing to brush the girl's hair.

"How did I get here?" Hermione questioned, confused as she was day-dreaming the whole way.

"With your feet of course!" Ginny smirked. "Honestly, Hermione. All this planning has gotten your wand in a knot. I believe you should ease that working mind of yours, whilst you let the expert take great care of you!" Hermione and Ginny giggled, getting back into their business.