12: Leaping Inside

She starts walking down an aisle between what is at least 100 Jumpers.

"How long have I been here?"

She doesn't answer at first, but she does after a few moments.

"You've been here two days."

What? Two days?

The earpiece's static fills my ear yet again.
"You sure have. I wasn't expecting it to take nearly this long, but at least you're recovered. Won't be long now."

I narrow my eyes.

"Won't be long now"?

No response. Yet again.

I roll my eyes and turn back to the scene around me.

Each aisle has a black number printed in front of it on the white floor. Each row has what looks like 5 Jumpers.

We pass the isle that reads "1", then "2", and remembrance hits me like a burn from a blaster.

"Fifth to the left, four rows down."

Lukas, you sneaky AI!

"I was wondering how long it was going to take you, Alexi."

I ignore Lukas this time.

I start looking to the left and spot row "4".

The Jumper on the end was very similar to all of the rest, but I notice that the keypad there is the same exact older version that the one at my hotel home has.

The old woman stops just in front of that row and I smile.

Oh, Lukas you brilliant little box! How'd you do it?!

Static fills my right ear.

It occurs to me that the earpiece is such an old model that whatever scanner they probably put me through wouldn't have picked it up.

"Well, it was easy really. I hacked into their servers and downloaded data. Turns out there's quite a few people in there who don't want to be there," a familiar voice fills my ear.

I hold back a lunatic laugh.

You really are a total jerk for leaving me but you're a genius.

"Why thank you," Lukas says.

The wall melts away from the place me and the old woman had entered, but this time, there is a figure wearing the same tactical gear that I had seen on my first day in the building.

The person's form is familiar and I find myself thinking of the leader of the 7-man squad.

What confirms my suspicions is the circular drone that sits on his shoulder.

Oh, that one.

I grimace. He comes nearer and the old woman turns to look him over. Her eyes widen when she realizes who it is.

"I'm here to take this subject to another place of research. We found some very interesting qualities," he says with an altered voice.

I guess that it is the air purifier that is still on his face despite the clean accommodations.

The old woman shakes her head and shoots me a look.

Is this part of the plan, Lukas?

"Stay calm, Alexi. I got this," it responds.

"What do you mean? If you don't mind me asking, great One," the old woman presses.

"Miss, it's confidential," he responds with steel in his voice.

I see the woman's jaw tense up, then she smiles forcefully.

"Of course, of course. Take the subject, then," she says.

She does an elaborate hand motion that I recognize. She is making the board release me.

The man in all black stands there without moving, obviously oblivious to what she is doing. The moment I feel the chilly material release my feet, I push off of it and start running in the direction of the old Jumper.

Behind me, I hear the man in tactical gear shout, but I ignore him. I slide to an ungraceful stop in front of the keypad. I type in the only authorization code I know, and the door slides open.

Yes!

Just as I leap inside of it, a hand grabs my upper arm, but I yank it out of the mans grasp. I rapidly type in my code again and slam my finger down on the "authorize" option on the screen.

A smirk finds its way onto my lips as the familiar blue light starts to appear.

Right as the door sealed shut, he leaps inside.

My smirk falters.

~~~~~~~~~~

Honestly, no note needed ♥️ Hope you enjoy cliff hangers...