41: Sandy Shoes

We had been riding for at least a day.

Without any rest.

My leg had gone numb on multiple occasions, and I had drifted off a few times. I can tell that Remi is tiring, but he keeps on pushing despite it.

Ryker's commanding whistles soon dies into the scenery as the familiar jolt of the saddle seemed to become natural. The sky was that of dusk, and I was guessing it was probably the second day of riding like this.

James is wide awake, and Shiva's pink tongue lolled out of her mouth. I can practically smell the ocean air from here.

The ground is becoming more grainy by the minute, and the familiar greenery is beginning to lessen.

As I catch myself drifting off again, there is an especially large jolt, and I feel myself falling despite being bound to the saddle. My eyes widen as I realize what is happening, and I brace myself.

A yelp sounds as we smack into the cool ground. Pain flashes up my leg, and my shoulder and head impact with the half-sand soil. I lay there for a moment, focusing on my breathing. The little bands around my legs release me, and I immediately squirm, dragging my left leg out from under the huge animal.

I wince as I bring my wounded leg up, my right, and move it around a bit, waking up the pained nerves.

I unclip the pocket there, checking the metal disk.

I slide my hand down my left leg, feeling for a vial beneath the cloth. It is still intact as well.

I sigh in relief and pain.

In front of me, Ryker is kneeling down beside Remi. He is pulling his hand through his grain-covered fur.

He was saying something, but I couldn't hear it because it was so quiet.

I look at the scene, and an idea hit me.
I bend down ignoring the pain, and unclasp a saddle bag. I reach my hand in and feel around until I find what I was looking for: the water bottle. It is about half full, but it will have to do.

I move over to Ryker and kneel down beside him. I lift Remi's muzzle, and Ryker turns to me with an astounded look on his face before he realizes what I am doing.

I pour a small amount into the wolf's mouth, and he practically guzzles everything inside of the bottle.

I look at him. It is obvious he is exhausted.

He was pushed to the edge, and the scratch marks and bruises he had from his fight probably weren't helping.

Behind us, James slides off of Shiva, and they jog over together. James stands a few feet back while Shiva lays down and places her head on Remi's side. I sigh, and push up.

There are a few trees surrounding us, but the ground is grainy and has hints of sand. I narrow my eyes as the wind blows in from the north, carrying the scent of salt. I raise an eyebrow and turn around to see Shiva's nostrils flaring, and the two men behind me stand.

Ryker nods to us, and meets my eyes for a short while, and gestures for us to go.

James and I run through the thin woodland, me ignoring my leg.

In only a few minutes, we reach thick layers of soft, warm sand, and my shoes begin to sink.

Nike Floaters don't operate well on sand, I guess.

I look behind me at James, and he is grinning broadly as his lace-up boots sink even deeper than my own shoes.

He begins to run across the beach, and I follow.

Soon, we reach an out-of-date-looking building. It is quite small, and has weeds growing over it. James feels the surface of it before he presses in an almost invisible button.

A loud blare escapes it as a door slides open exposing what looks like a Jumper.

He smiles and looks back at me for a moment before grabbing my hand and pulling me inside it after him.

I ignore the slight pain in my leg, knowing that the scab is alright.

His fingers fly over the keypad as his already huge smile grows on his face. His grip on me hand tightened as "Authorize" appears on the screen. I meet his eyes as I move past him, take a deep breath, and select it.

The door slides closed, and the familiar blue light shines around us wildly.

~~~~~~~~~~

Im sorry to say it readers but it seems our journey is very near its end :( on the bright side, when this book sums up, there's on a be a Prequel!!!!!
Anywho, are u ready?!
And thanks for reading ♥️