30: Shoulder

I wake to James' voice. It sounds serious and concerned. I keep my eyes closed, not willing to use them yet. I open my mouth to ask what he needs, but he starts speaking again.

"We're still about 22 hours away if the plan goes accordingly, Father."

Father?

A voice on the other end soon responded:

"Alright. Just be careful out there, boy."

I crack one eye open and see a holographic display coming from a familiar-looking cloth patch in his hand.

From the center of the large golden "R" the beaming light was appearing.

The face of a ruggedly handsome, but older man shows through the little blue lights. I remain silent as I listen in on their conversation.

"The traitors have access to the patch system. Do not forget to inform the tech division and supervisor. I'll be taking extra precaution though. Alright, Father. Be back soon. Tell Samantha I can't wait to see her! And don't forget Ollie."

The man on the other end smiles as I feel a weird sensation tugging on my stomach at the mention of Samantha.

Was it the familiarity of the name?

Or because James couldn't wait to see her?

I start sliding down the door a little bit, but I can't save myself without compromising my position.

I shoot my hand out and pull myself up quickly with a slight squeak of disagreement from the seat.

I relax again and let my mouth fall open slightly when James turns my way. After a few moments of awkward silence, he turns back and clicks something on the little cloth and the image of the man dissipates.

He presses down kind of hard on it with his thumb and index finger.

It soon spits something out, and he crushes the flat shiny drive that slides out of the side in his palm, wincing a little as he does it. By this time, I had cracked my eye open again to see what he was doing.

He turns towards me suddenly, and I close the cracked eye, hoping he doesn't see.

I wait at least five good minutes before opening my eye again.

When I do, I see James had turned off auto and was steering himself with a small smile on his lips. It was another long moment of silence before he decided to speak.

"You could just ask about it like a normal person," he says with amusement in his voice.
I sigh and sit up.

Stupid super spy skills.

"Fine..."

He sits silently and waits for me to speak.

"That was your Dad?"

He laughs a little bit at my question, and responds:

"Yes, that'd be why I called him father, Alexi.
Any others?"

"Oh yeah, definitely," I say seriously.

"Who's Ollie?"

"Ollie's my... sort of...Little brother. He's the polar opposite of me, he has these cool amber eyes and dark brown hair. He's almost 19," he says as a larger smile forms.

I look down for a moment and chew on my lip as I think about my own family.

I turn back toward him and he has an eyebrow raised.

"You haven't even met him yet," James says with amusement in his voice, despite him gripping the altitude regulator so hard that his knuckles are white.

I put a hand on my face as I shake my head. I am considering asking about Samantha.

"Who's Samantha?"

"She's the Commander... Of the Revolution."

Oh...

"I wasn't thinking about him," I say and continue, getting off the topic of Samantha "this conversation just got me thinking about my family."

James' amused smirk falters for a second before he finally gets his act together, but by then it was too late.

"Do you... Know something about my family?"
James shakes his head gently as he speaks.

"No, I just assume that something happened to them because I don't think they'd let you go out there," he said as he gestured to the outside of the Floater,"all alone."

I look at him for a moment.

"I wasn't."

He looks a little confused for a moment before realization hits him.

"We should get some sleep."

I nod and rub my eye, still containing the contact from Lukas. I shake my head slightly to disperse the memory.

He turns the Floater to auto and leans against the opposite door. I pull my wounded leg off of his lap, and hesitate for a second before scooting over and laying my head on his shoulder and drifting off again.

~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry guys. I haven't updated in 7 days. That's bad. You all know what that means though: bonus chapter. Hopefully you'll forgive me for this boring filler :) love you all, and
THANKS FOR READING ❤️