31: Truth

"Hey sweetheart," she says as she leans over me.

I rub my eyes and grumble something that sounds like "hi". I open one eye lazily. At first, it's all blurry and I can't see much, but soon I can make out a recognizable face.

Bright green eyes, perfect lips, and dark brown curly cascading locks. She smiles as my eye meets hers.

"There you are little Heart-warmer."

I smile up at her as I stretch out. I push up from my lying down position and she moves back a little bit.

As I shift, extra padding swarms up to support me. I pull my legs over the side of the shell and a little step forms in front of me. I don't step down though.

"Today's the day, isn't it?"

The woman looks sad as I ask.

"Yep," She says, pretending to be cheerful.

"It's time for the Immunity Test, my love."

I nod and take the hand that she's offered me when I step off of the small white step and onto the floor.

She waves her hand in the air and a small white box arrives beside her. She nods at its camera and it lovers so that it hovers just above my index finger.

"Sorry, Alexi," it says before it sinks a needle in. I wince, but it's over before I can blink.
My Mom smiles at me and looks at Lukas.

"Could I have the sample before you analyze it to it's core? You know Thomas, always wanting to inspect everything," she laughs.

"Of course Mrs. Callidus."

Lukas drops the little vial into her palm and hovers beside her as I head in the direction of the cleansing room and she gives me a small smile as she turns and goes into the all-white hallway carrying the little clear vial square.

"It's time, Thomas."

"I know. Do you have the replacement?"

"Yes of course. They can't know. They'll take her... She's different."

"Because she's not ours."

"She's our daughter. Maybe not by genetics, thank god, but because we raised her. She will always be my daughter."

"I love her too... But you know very well what she is... Who she is Claire. It'll catch up with us."

I peel the thin suit away from my body and allow the luke-warm cleaner coast along me leaving a tingling sensation. I stand there for a very long time.

After I finally finish, I stand there in front of the full-body the mirror and pull on yet another suit, all white, only this time there is a collar around the neck, shoes on the feet, and a red patch sewed onto the left side over my heart.

I pull my freshly dried hair into a tight bun and meet my chilling icey eyes. Something burns within them.

Anger. Disappointment. Rashness. Truth. Fire.

I squeeze my eyes shut.

"Who am I?"
*****

My eyes shoot open and my breathing is rapid.

My eyes are watery and there is an ache in my heart. I realize where I am and what the warm thing beside me is.

I guess I had flinched because he shifts enough to look at me groggily.