22: Blue Eyes

A storm rages in the distant skies and I could hear the slap of lightning as it struck the earth. I watched the flat, barren plain that stretched out in front of me for miles as it rapidly approached.

"Alexi."

I whip around my eyes scanning the blank terrain for the source.

"Alexi," it says again in a whispering voice.

I narrow my eyes and look even harder. Dust had begun to kick up around me like blinding smoke and the voice seems to mock me.

"Alexxiii," it drawls.

Ahead, I see what looks like the silhouette of a person.

I begin to walk towards it, but my feet aren't even moving. I open my mouth to call out, but no sound escapes.

Panic fills me.

The shadow seems to raise its head from its hunching position. It turns towards me slowly, and cocks its head. Long hair twists in the crazed wind as it looked at me. It begins to move towards me, but just before I can see it through the blinding air, a hand grasps my shoulder.

"Alexi."

This time it wasn't a whispering voice, but that of a familiar one.

I turn to see Lukas standing there with unkempt hair and gashes on his mechanical arms. The silver underneath the false skin shines in the wild lightning.

"Not yet, Alexi."

My brows furrow in confusion as I look at my friend. I try to pull my shoulder away.

"No."

His grip tightens and my eyes widen. I snatch my shoulder as hard as I can, and his hand falls away.

I turn to look at my life long friend, but he had vanished.

I shake my head and look once again at the darkened figure, but only for a moment before another familiar person steps in front of me.

His blacked out tactical gear is ragged and blood is dripping from some spots. His helmet is off and there is a slash going across his cheek from his mouth to the far corner of his left eye. He faces me and gently shakes his head.

"No, Alexi. You can't."

Disbelief fills me, and I push James away into the dust.

My eyes land upon the figure once again and it came even nearer. I see the glimmer of shining blue eyes as I lean to get a better look.

Suddenly, a hand grasps mine and spins me around, back facing the mystery person.

"My dear Alexi," she says as her free hand caresses the side of my face. My eyebrows raise in disbelief, and my already teary eyes begin to flood. I open my mouth again, but no words come out.

"Now is not the time."

Tears race down my face creating small rivers.

"You have to hide. You are not ready yet, my love."

I look into her familiar green eyes with little smile creases on the lids and her strong nose and arched lips.

"I love you, Alexi. You can't go yet. Be patient. Soon..."

I look at her in sadness and confusion as her shining eyes released tears of their own. I nod slowly, and I close my eyes.
*****

My eyes slowly open into darkness and my cheeks are damp. I rub at what I assume were now puffy eyes and move to sit up.