34: Break

I turn to James and smile like a crazy person.

"We made it."

He returns my insane smile.

"You-we- Yeah. We made it."

For a 25 year old super spy who was just fighting the equivalent of 30+ upgraded zombies, he illogically seems like a five year old boy who just got a brand new Cyber Pup.

"Now that we're here," James says," it should only be a couple hours before we get there.

However, we'll have to go through two more stations... Which potentially means more Victims, and maybe Nation soldiers."

I nod and run my hands through my hair. I take it and tie it in a tight knit at the back fo my head.

He gives me a sad smile and lies down in his own shell.

I push up from my sitting position in the comfortable little shell and discover there's a box in the corner of our chamber.

I bend down and pick it up, and I feel a sharp pain in my index finger. A green light flashes on the side of the gray box, and it slides open. Inside there is a piece of paper and a thin vial with a green liquid inside.

I turn to James, but he's not facing me at all. I pick up the letter and look at the seal.

There's a large N with three stars underneath it and three last names in tiny lettering across the top: Capel, Regal, and Lorcan. I narrow my eyes and slide my thumb under the thick, creamy paper.

The seal reluctantly pops off the paper and I gently open it.

Dear Great Consul Regal,
Within this box is the very object of your dreams. It is the object that will give you and you alone the very power to feed your true ambition; the power to craft the New World as you see fit. You may take this gift that I retrieved from the research of a Susceptible in one of the original "Safe" houses. One might assume that there was no breach... That this young scientist was getting too close, and had too much to lose...But perhaps not. It is not my place to make such assumptions.
Thank you, oh great one, and may you become the true dictator that you were always meant to be by holding in your hand this weapon of both deception and regeneration; the cure.
Your loyal informant,
~MC

My eyes widen as I stare at the words and read them over and over.

"One might assume there was no breach... That this young scientist was getting too close, and had too much to lose."

Rage.

"...'Safe' house..."

Blinding rage.

"...Weapon of both deception and regeneration..."

So, so, scorching.

"...the cure..."

I stand there with pain climbing my leg, and glossed eyes for what feels like years, and I crumple right there into the plush carpet, my red blood staining it.

I can't tell if it's from my amount of blood loss, or the feeling of helpless infuriation coursing through me.

I double over, holding my stomach.

I let out a strangled cry, and hold my head in my hands.

In only a few moments, James is beside me, picking me up, and carrying me back over to my shell, and pulling out familiar supplies, but I don't care.

So many things are flying through my troubled mind; my purgatory.

One of the very men I had learned about in my young years that everyone praised as a god; a savior... Was a murderer.

I realize that the truth is something I wish I had never discovered.

James is speaking, yelling maybe, but I'm staring into the dark abyss that is what I have discovered.

Regal is the reason my parents are dead. My father created the cure, or at least a prototype.

If he did that, that means that there was no breach...

They killed him for being too smart.

For trying to help others.

They killed my family for trying to save us all.

The Trifecta is nothing more than a blood-thirsty triangle of revenge.

And I'm going to break it. One way or another.

~~~~~~~~~~
Oh man... That hit me hard... what do you guys think James was saying? How did Alexi unlock that box? Where exactly is this bullet train heading? And is revenge Alexi's new taste? I don't know! You tell me 😉.
Thank you for reading, loves.
♥️♥️