Lull before the Storm

Your memories of the cold, dark days of suffering in your cell melted into one big mess, you no longer could remember the stages, or what really happened. Like you dissociated yourself from that period because it was too much to process. You were existing out of reality and time, and those memories were like someone else's memories. A new personality infiltrated your mind and took over control.

She was merciless, bloodthirsty, and desired power. It wasn't you. While this happened, you were like an observer from the backseat of your own mind. You saw what was happening, you saw the flames, heard the screams, but it had nothing to do with you, and you had no strength to resist. That new person was in charge of your body and magic. You went where she did and watched what she was doing. You saw pictures of places you've never been before, with unknown creatures living there. They all ended in flames. It was like practising out on the field for something big.

Sometimes you could make it to the driver's seat, and push back that dark persona in your mind, but it never lasted long. It was like finally reaching the surface after a long time underwater. In these, rare sober moments you often found yourself on the battleground in the middle of the fight. You tried to stop it or to disappear in the crowd and escape, but you had a small device on your neck, which zapped you in the moment of resistance, and made you pass out. You also had a smaller version of that hateful machine on your head, which placed back your dark side in charge again. These two were a fine combination to prevent you from turning against your master, or from running away. There was no way to set yourself free, as you were getting carried closer and closer to your final purpose. To siege the Nine Realms and Asgard, while locked away in your own mind.

***

During the next few weeks, many reports came telling about horrible wildfires and mass destruction in different corners of space. The reports told about a merciless figure with bright red flaming skin and yellow glowing eyes. A fire giant with never seen strength. There was no doubt that it was you. It made clear how bad the situation was. You were so strong under control that they could take you outside to test your powers. The question was why?

As more and more reports came in, the Avengers found the answer. The attacks became slowly and slowly closer to the Earth and Asgard. You became a huge threat for the Nine Realms, which needed to be stopped as soon as possible. According to the tales of spies, you were followed by a huge army, similar to the one that attacked New York a few years ago. If the Avengers could believe the contacts and spies, your kidnapper's goal was to bring Ragnarok with you and take over Asgard, and with that the Nine Realms. This way they could also possess all the dangerous relics locked away in the palace, including the Eternal Flame.

This madness had to be stopped for once and for all. Also, it had to be done with as few victims as possible, preserving the cities and villages around the realms. Jotunheim turned out to be the best place for the battle with its never-ending dead, frozen wilderness. The Land of Ice and Snow was also the best choice because the chances were the highest there against you. The ice could probably take you down without hurting you, so you could finally return home. Odin and the Vanirs agreed on uniting their armies with the force of Avengers to save the Nine Realms from this early brought doomsday.

They built up their huge base camps around the ice castle of Laufey. Loki provided the soldiers in the camps everything they needed to survive in the sharp winter weather. He even managed to gather a group of a few hundred Jotuns, who were loyal to him as the rightful heir of the realm. They agreed to guard the armies from wild Ice Folk, and also to join in the fight against the alien army.

Everything was prepared, as best as it could be. Watch-fires were scattered all around the land, waiting for the worst to come. Jotuns were marching along the frontline, securing the camps. The sound of soldiers sharpening their weapons and fixing their armours filled the air. They sang songs of the brave and about Valhalla awaiting them, to steel their hearts and cheer their souls up in the cold. The moments of death and fear were crawling closer and closer with every second passing by, and they needed to be ready for it.

The Avengers was standing high above in the castle, observing from the throne room the lull before the storm. They were standing side by side by the huge window, watching the dark horizon with furrowed brows. They saw the army coming with a bright light in the front. Now they were far away, but by the morning blood will cover the ground as the two armies collide into each other.

"Loki, we discussed it, and you should lead us tomorrow. It's your land after all, and we trust in your wisdom," Steve broke the silence while eyeing the enemy in the distance.

"Also, it's your woman who comes and tries to kill us, so it's your job to stop her, Reindeer Games," Tony looked around with an arrogant smile, but when he only received cold and serious glares with Steve's strong, warning grip on his shoulder, he added:

"What? I'm being serious! It's his woman, so his business. I think it's fair."

"(Y/n) is one of us, no matter what. Don't worry, we'll get her back." Nat gave Loki a reassuring smile, ignoring Stark and his comments.

None of them was in the mood for fun. They once have met this army, and they knew what it was capable of. Now they had the Vanirs and Asgardians as allies by their side, but the enemy's numbers were still huge. A tough battle was ahead of them, the stakes were high. The fate of the Nine Realms was in their palms, and on top of all this, they had to fight their beloved friend. It was the hardest part of the story.

"All right," Loki said with a painful sigh, furrowing his brows.

"Tomorrow we will fight them. Part of the Asgardian army will form the right wing, while part of the Vanirs the left. The Jotun troops will form a spike with the rest of our soldiers in the middle to break their lines and cause chaos among them. We will concentrate on taking down their master, and (y/n). And please, try not to hurt her, no matter what. We must try everything to bring her home safe and in one piece. Now, please follow me to the tactical map in the library, I'll show you everything you need to know." He turned to the others, forcing himself to tear his gaze away from the bright flame slowly approaching from the distance...

The war was coming.