Ashes

Somebody pulled you out of the snow and held you in his arms. As you opened your eyes, you saw your Asgardian prince kneeling beside you. His face was covered with a thick layer of ash and grime, his beautiful, blue eyes were radiating in this dark frame. His gaze was full of emotions: worry, fear and most importantly love. You were longing to reach out to him, to caress his face, to finally kiss his lips. Before you could even move, you heard it again:

'Now is your chance! Stand up and fight him! Have no mercy! Kill him already! Show the world who you are! Rule them!'

Your head was pounding, and you felt your dark side taking over control again. Even though you weren't able to shift back into Muspel form, it still was dangerous. Your head was now spinning as the voice kept yelling in your head, and your eyes lost focus as the pain got stronger and stronger.

"Loki, stay back..." you murmured trying to delay the unavoidable. You tried to free yourself from his arms, and crawl away, but he didn't let you go.

"Love, it's over. I'm here, don't be afraid. I won't let them set us apart again," he whispered to you. He didn't understand that you still had the small device on your head and you were under control as long as that thing worked. You tried to tell him, to warn him to run, but only screeches came out of your mouth as you fought against the force in your head.

"Stay... back... they... have me..."

*

The black-haired god finally held you in his arms. He got you back after all this time, and he almost couldn't believe it. You lost your power over fire for a while, and now all the flames around the battleground were slowly dying. His army got a chance again to strike, and crash the aliens. Without you, they were defenceless and weak. The Asgardians and Vanirs easily scattered them and lessened their numbers. Victory was on the line, he had you, and it was almost too good to be true. As this thought came up to his mind, like magic you started to groan and twitch in his arms.

Something went wrong, you were in pain, and you tried to get away from him. He tried to comfort you, to calm you down somehow and protect you from any harm. He couldn't stand seeing you like this after all the things you went through. Loki wanted this nightmare to end once and for all, and make you feel safe by his side again. To make up to you for what he did. To return to the life you two once had.

Suddenly something flashed through your face, your muscled relaxed, stopped twitching, and your lips curved into an evil smile. Before he could pull away or do anything, you already took his daggers from his belt, and stood in front of him, ready to strike.

"Stand up Iceboy, and fight! You may take my powers but can't erase the fury from within. You really thought a bucket of ice would stop me like last time? Back then I was weak and vincible, now I am the fire myself." Your voice was vile and cold again. Just like a moment ago, you were yourself, you fought it back. Loki saw it in your eyes and believed that it's over. How foolish he was...

"I'm not fighting you. (Y/n), I know you're still in there. Please, come back to me! Fight against it, show the world that you're way more than this!" He backed away locking eyes with you, never missing the smallest movement of yours. This thing you've become was too dangerous and unpredictable.

"Don't be so pathetic. She's way too weak to stand up against me. I can feel her sorrow and despair, it's so sweet. She's so worried about you, it almost hurts. I'm gonna make her watch you die slowly. It's gonna be so much fun." You tilted your head to the side, scanning him for a weak spot like a hungry beast ready to jump. The two of you were circling each other, you wanted to spill his blood, while he wanted to avoid any fight.

Nearby an Asgardian ship crashed to the ground followed by a huge explosion, and for a second Loki broke the eye contact. You lunged forward, using that glimpse of time to attack. You aimed for his chest, but in the last minute, the demigod successfully dodged away, avoiding the lethal stab. Though you still managed to get through the thick leather and cut his side. Loki felt the cold metal tearing into his flesh, and warm blood slowly coming to the surface. At the moment he did not feel pain because of the adrenaline rush, but he knew it was deep and would bring him down soon.

You struck again, not leaving him time to take up defending position. This time you aimed your daggers to his throat, but you only cut through the empty air. The God of Mischief and Trickery was now a step ahead of you, expecting your bloodthirsty moves. You only killed an illusion. He appeared behind you out of nowhere, and with his magic tied your hands together, making you drop the knives to the ground. As a response, with a quick half-turn, you kicked him hard in the chest, making him fall to the ground. Loki felt his side pounding as the pain struck in, he was still bleeding. His vision started to blur and he was gasping for air from the impact of your kick.

He saw you breaking the spell on your wrists and slowly coming with weapon in hand again. You were moving slowly, like a tiger approaching its defenceless prey. Loki couldn't stand, he lost too much blood. Suddenly a red and yellow figure appeared out of nowhere, hitting you hard on the side of your head. Loki heard something metallic cracking under the hand of the Man of Iron. The furious light in your eyes died, and you fell to the ground next to him. The God of Lies slowly sat up, his gaze shifting between you and Tony.

"What did you do to her?" he glared at your body on the ground. For a moment he was scared that maybe you died from a hit this big, but Stark didn't leave him time to think this through. He simply strutted next to you and picked something off the ground.

"You see this? This little device kept her going. Now that I broke it, she's probably free from their control, but we should keep an eye on her. Oh, and you're welcome, I saved your ass Reindeer Games. You owe me a drink," he winked at Loki, who fell back to the ground in relief.

So, it was over. Maybe this time for real. The battle was slowly ending by that time, without your flames, the aliens couldn't stand a chance. The Avengers joined in the fight, and crushed their forces, making them fall back and run. Tony took you down without causing any serious harm to you, and Loki felt like he could finally rest for a bit. He reached out to where you were lying and laced his fingers with yours. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath and slowly drifted away into unconsciousness from tiredness and blood loss. He sank into silent darkness and closed out the happenings of the world around him.

He couldn't hear his army cheer in glorious victory, nor his brother and teammates calling out for him. He couldn't feel when he was lifted from the ground and carried away, nor your fingers slipping away from his...