s e v e n t e e n

"Welcome home," a group of people shouted as soon as she flicked the living room lights open. "And happy 18th, Paisley!"

  Paisley smiled. For the first time in a while a genuine smile was plastered on her face.

  Dakota was there, so was Aiden and Elliot, and even Nicci.

  "What's all this?" Paisley laughed.

  "It's a welcome back and birthday party for you." Dakota spoke as she gave several strings of balloons in hand to Elliot and came forward to give Paisley a hug.

  Aiden came next.

  "Welcome home and happy birthday," he greeted giving Paisley a hug as well. "angel."

  Paisley playfully pushed him away as her cheeks reddened.

  "Are you Aiden?" Paisley laughed at the childish nickname.

  "It's what your dad called you," he explained chuckling at his own cheesiness. "And I thought it suited you."

  Aiden remembered the day he got a call from Elliot telling him to check on Paisley and then it all came like a blur—he found Paisley lying lifeless on the floor, Elliot probably had a gut feeling Paisley was about to do something irrational, as her dad cradled her in his arms mumbling what had happened to his little angel.

  She looked at her dad, who was behind her, and smiled. Her dad did used to call her that back when she was a little girl, then back at Aiden, she thought if he knew that it was too much for her to hang on until everything was okay again, but nevertheless she was thankful Aiden had followed her as if he knew she was going to do something stupid.

  "Hi," Nicci shyly greets.

  "Hey."

  "I'm sorry." They both blurt out at the same time.

  They both laugh and Nicci gives Paisley a tight hug, as if wanting to close the gap of years when they were apart.

  "I never got mad at you."

  "Thank you." Paisley cried, but this time it wasn't because she was hurt or sad, but because she was sincerely happy at that moment.

  And at that moment she realized that forgiveness was going to set her free; forgiveness was going to save her from herself.

  She realized that love was forgiving, letting go and accepting them with open arms until the day they came back to you.