Chapter 1

Emma and Mila Stauffer as Brynlee and Keegan Harrison

It has officially been four years since Josh left me and all his friends and family here in San Diego. A lot has changed. My beautiful daughters, Brynlee Reese and Keegan Ryder, are now three years old. My dad died from brain cancer last year after battling long enough to see his granddaughters turn two. He loved them more than anything. It's been hard for us, especially my mom, but we're getting by. I graduated from the University of San Diego last year with a teaching degree in English, and am going on my second year of teaching at my old high school, Fremont High School. Jordyn, my 17 year old sister, is a junior there.

Ever since my pregnancy, I've had help from my family, Josh's family, and our friends. I couldn't really hide Josh's daughters from his parents since the girls are their granddaughters, and they promised not to tell him. Let's just say that they weren't too pleased with how Josh left. I've tried to tell Josh about Brynlee and Keegan, but he doesn't answer any of my calls or I chickened out. Cory and Tyler have offered to tell him since he actually keeps in contact with them, along with his family, but I want him to hear it from me. Now, I think it's a little too late to tell him especially since he's happy on his own. He's off playing professional baseball for the New York Yankees while dating multiple girls, according to the gossip sites.

Josh's sister, Delaney, got married last year at a destination wedding that only included close family members. I was invited since the girls are her nieces, but I declined the invitation knowing I would have to see him. She is now a pediatrician while her husband, Landon Gray, took over his father's oil company. My best friend, Elena Pratt, just graduated from nursing school and started her new job at the local hospital. She is also currently engaged to Tyler Stephens, Josh and I's best friend. They've been dating since our junior year of high school. Tyler works alongside Landon as the financial manager. Cory Sutton, Josh and I's other best friend, is now a gym teacher and baseball coach at Fremont High School. He was suppose to become a professional baseball player like Josh, but he suffered a serious shoulder injury which ended his playing days. Teaching was always his backup.

The continuous jumping on my bed followed by loud giggles disturbed my sleep

The continuous jumping on my bed followed by loud giggles disturbed my sleep. My eyes fluttered open to see two toddlers wide awake.

"Mommy!" Keegan screamed as she jumped onto me with the intention of a hug. Her knotted brown hair fell to the sides of her face as her big brown eyes gleamed with excitement. Brynlee continued jumping as her blonde hair bounced with her.

"Good morning to you girlies too," I responded hugging Keegan as Brynlee cuddled to my side. "What do you girls want for breakfast?"

"WAFFLES!" They both squealed jumping from the bed as they ran out of my bedroom. I then got up from the comfort of my bed sheets and put my fuzzy gray robe on over my pajamas that consisted of shorts and an old t-shirt. When I reached the kitchen, the girls were there digging the Eggo waffles out of the freezer.