Chapter Three: Have Faith

I came through the portal and ended up in front of my family's manor. My heart thudded unpleasantly in my chest as I raced for the door, yanking up the edges of my robes when I stumbled on them. The door gave way when I shoved at it and my breathing came out in little frantic puffs. I couldn't do what they needed and I felt the pressure shoving down on my shoulders. BamBam needed me but I knew I couldn't be the person they required.

"Novis?" The voice rumbled through the air and I was grabbed around the waist. I clutched onto Aymis's shirt as he held me tightly. "What is wrong?" He stroked my back and my hair, just holding me. I wasn't sure when my little brother had grown so big but he had, at fourteen he was nearly a man. Even his voice has started to deepen. I couldn't respond to his question, couldn't find my voice as I shook.

Why the hell did it have to be me? I was no one, I had nothing. I was useless.

Yet the King of the Covens had asked me to help.

BamBam was going to die if they relied on me.

I burst into tears and Aymis held me tighter, shushing me slightly. "It's alright, Novis. It will be okay. If someone is hurting you, you need to tell me." I shook my head. Aymis had a nasty streak in him when he got protective. He was fourteen but his magick held a nasty punch when he got in the right mood. He was easily as strong as our father when it came to his magick level but not quite as strong as our mother.

I sniffled and wiped my eyes as Aymis grasped my arms and pushed me away, holding me at arms length. "I don't know what to do." My voice was nasally and my throat tightened as I looked up at him. It always confused me because he didn't truly look like anyone in the family. We were all fair skinned but he stood with skin that tanned easily and dark hair and eyes that flashed with magick when he was upset. Much like they were doing now.

He pushed my hands away from my face and wiped at my face for me. "Are you okay?" He crouched down slightly to look me in the eyes and I shrugged. I didn't know if I could even speak. BamBam's life rested in the balance and I knew I wasn't strong enough to save her. It broke my heart. "Are you sure?"

"I don't know." My voice cracked and he kissed my forehead as he drew his thumbs across my cheekbones. He was such a strange boy. He loved physical contact, him and our littlest sister Zinnia. They weren't happy unless they were touching another person or being close enough to touch.

"It will be okay, we are here for you." He gave me a broad smile and I let out a shuddering breath.

"BamBam is in trouble." At the words he stiffened and his face paled as he let me go.

"Mother!" The word boomed from his chest, his voice cracking slightly, a showing of his age. There was a blurry of activity as our mother appeared in a rippling of magick.

Her eyes were narrowed and magick crackled around her, lifting her red hair up with her anger. "What is wrong? What is it, Aymis?" She grasped his arm before she looked at me. Her eyes widened before she grabbed me. "What is wrong, baby?" She stroked my hair back from my face and I sniffled, wiped at my nose. I felt horrible.

"BamBam has been kidnapped and I was told I was the only person who could find her." I looked at my mother, hoping she could give me a lifeline. I wanted her to tell me she could help, she could save BamBam because I knew I couldn't.

She blinked before her expression softened as she looked at me, making a small noise in the back of her throat. "Oh, this was not expected so soon." She ran the back of her fingers over my cheek, as a rather secretive but motherly look of pride came across her face. "The Divines have started this, Novis, and you must finish it." She tsked slightly at me and my chest hurt.