Chapter Twenty-One: The Queen

I headed back to the motel with a small scowl on my face. I honestly hated how long it took me to gather all of the shit I needed to ensure that I could safely take Lacey home with me. I felt like everything had slowed down to a crawl because the world seemed to know I had someone I was wanting to get back to. My angry mood lessened a bit when I remembered waking up to Lacey in my arms. She had looked to peaceful and sweet asleep that I had to repress my urge to wake her up just so I could taste her again.

I was addicted to her and even though I had made peace with the fact she would be mine, I knew that even if I hadn't I never would have been able to get her out of my system. I was completely addicted to her and there was nothing on the mortal plain that could get her out from underneath my skin. I was thankful I had made peace with that. I knew fighting against it would have been exhausting so I was glad I decided that being tied to her was more than okay.

I knew my life was going to change, I knew I would have to hang up the cloak of being a mercenary and tracker. I had to turn my back on the life I had made for myself away from the politics of our world but it was worth it to have Lacey by my side and in my bed. As I said previous, there were worse fates to be tied to other than her. I shook my head slightly at that, I was becoming pussy whipped and I hadn't even whisked her away to my compound.

I ignored the thought as I shoved open the motel room door. Immediately the heavily cologned scent of that damned King of the Covens assaulted my nose and I heaved out a nasty growl. "Shut your mouth, mutt." At the hissed words I narrowed my gaze on him as he crossed his arms over his chest. My heart lurched when I glanced around and realized that Lacey was gone.

"Where is she?" I took a threatening step towards him and he rolled his eyes, waving his hand, creating a clear barrier between us.

"I had her taken back to the Covens to be burned for her crimes. You are lucky I don't do the same to you but you did complete the mission as asked so I am here to settle our debt." He pulled a back of gold coins from his pocket and dropped it on the dresser with a heavy thump.

My heart thumped hard and my instinct and beast roused from their relaxation to dig into me at his words. "You hurt her and I will kill you." I met his gaze, feeling my jaw want to elongate with my beast's rage at having his female taken from his grasp.

"Just forget about the little whore. Although tell me, was she as good in bed as she seemed? She looked like she would do anything to please a man." His eyes flicked down me before he sneered as I dropped my bag and slammed my fists against the barrier. The force of the hit rattled my teeth but I did it again. "Or perhaps she is just like her sister and prefers to rut with beasts." He made a slight face before he met my gaze as I slammed my fist into the barrier again. "Who knows? Perhaps if I can get over my revulsion of her rutting with you, I might visit her in her cell to see just what she would do to save her own life." He gave me a mocking grin and I gave a heavy snarl as I slammed by fists into the invisible barrier again. I surprised both of us when the force of my hit cracked it with a heavy sound.

My breathing came out in heaving pants as growls filled the air, my hands clenching tighter into fists. "Touch her and die." I wasn't about to let him touch a single hair on her head. I would kill him before he got close enough. I watched as he looked warily at the barrier before he shifted on his feet.

"You have to catch me first, mutt." He glowered at me before he slipped through a portal he created with a wave of his hand. I gave a heavy shout as I slammed my fists into the barrier once more and it shattered, the magick dissolving as I rushed for the portal only to have to have it slam shut right in front of me. Rage filled me as I gave a roar, my face shifting slightly as my beast pushed at me, wanting out to track our female down and wanting to tear the warlock apart for threatening her.

I didn't have time for that though. I knew that I needed to keep my wits about me if I was going to save Lacey. I stalked back towards the bag and grabbed the portal spell orb I had bought from one of the shops at the Emporium. I had been given a clear rundown of how it had worked and I was glad because I knew I would need every thing possible to be able to get into the cells of the Coven and escape with both Lacey and I unharmed.

I glanced at the gold and wanted to curse but I stalked over and grabbed it anyway. Not everyone was immune to being bribed and I knew I needed all the help I could get. I bared my teeth, growls rumbling from me in a continuous stream as I grabbed my bag and slammed the portal orb against the floor. "Coven." I imagined the front of the main building and the portal swirled open. I stepped through baring my teeth as I looked around. I waved my hand at the portal and it closed, sliding to the back of my hand for later use.

I inhaled deeply, trying to pinpoint Lacey's scent but to my surprise it wasn't fresh by the building. She hadn't been taken to the offices yet. I narrowed my eyes and took off down the street, inhaling deep lungfuls of air, trying to catch her scent and I managed to catch the tail end of it. My heart lurched and I darted towards it. The trail took me through back alleys and shadowed streets before it ended at the back of a large house. My heart beat hard in my chest before I kicked the door in and came inside, my hands aching with the claws that had pushed out of my nail beds.

"I know I'm moving but you didn't have to kick the door in." At the chiding voice I snapped my gaze to the speaker and growled at the elegant female that stood in the next doorway as she crossed her arms over her chest. "You could have knocked and I would have let you in." She gestured to the door and I narrowed my eyes at her further.

"Where is Lacey?" The words came out in a heavy demand that merely caused her to raise an eyebrow.

"She is... cleaning house." Her mouth tugged up slightly at that and a muffled boom seemed to rattle the windows. My eyes widened and I went to turn around before the female was instantly in front of me as she grabbed my jaw and yanked me down so I was face to face with her. "You take care of her, okay? My daughter needs someone to treasure her, to treat her as if she is important and worth loving. You take that on and if you fail, you will have me kicking down your door." Her gaze was as intense as her warning and I nodded. I wouldn't do anything to hurt my female. I just wanted to keep her safe. "Good." She patted my cheek as she let me go.

"You don't care about us?" I asked it roughly, unable to help it as another muffle boom sounded off.

"What is there to care about? If you make her happy then the rest is just details." She waved me off before her expression fell slightly. "You are in for a hard journey, Abraham." I winced at the use of my name "Some things you need to fight for but right now, she needs more than the word of a High King. You need to show her you are more than you are." Her gaze was swirling with magick and I didn't understand what she meant before she pulled an orb from her pocket and held it out for me. "The time will come when you will need to use this. You will know it when it comea." I took the orb, frowning at the sickly green glow that seemed to emanate from within it. My instinct recoiled from it, hating how ti felt but if the witch said I would need it then I wasn't going to doubt her. I tucked it into my bag and she gestured down the hall.

"Use the front door this time and good luck. I have never birthed a witch below a level six and Lacey takes after me." With that cryptic warning she was gone with a rustle of her robes. I blinked before another boom sounded and I took off down the hall. The main doors were easy to spot and I shoved through them. There was another boom, the sound large enough to it almost hurt my ears as an orange fire ball whooshed up above the roof tops amid screaming witches as they scrambled.