Chapter Eleven: Truth and Lies: Part Two

I didn't have time to try and figure all of this shit out. I really didn't. I had gotten myself tangled into some serious shit with this job. I had become a mercenary to escape getting tangled in political bullshit but it seemed it was inevitable. I cursed my bloodline as I grabbed Lacey's wrist and pulled her out of the alley. We needed to get a jump on this because I couldn't figure it out. For all I knew we would have to warn the two kidnappers instead of take them out permanently like I was paid to do.

My instinct had been right, there was no trusting that warlock and I hadn't even begun to scratch the surface of his plot. What I couldn't fucking understand is why the fuck would he send Lacey out here? She was his chosen mate and it didn't make sense to send her out into such a dangerous situation especially while telling her she was going to be dealing with a rabid werewolf.

A deep growl rumbled my chest. I hated being in a situation I knew literally nothing about. This job was getting far too complicated but I would complete it because now I wasn't going to rest until I discovered what he was playing at. I hated being played like I was. I wanted to snarl and I narrowed my eyes darkly at everyone who wanted to be in my path as I strode down the sidewalk.

"Abe, can you slow down?" At the timid voice I stopped abruptly, Lacey bumping into my back with a small off. I dropped her wrist and frowned darkly as I stared at the sidewalk. "We can figure it out later, right? No matter what is going on, I have a feeling my sister needs me." She grabbed my sleeve and gently tugged on it. I slowly looked over at her and her eyes were imploring and I wanted to cover them with my hand because why the fuck did she look so enticing and innocent that it wasn't even funny?

"We can do that, witchling." I would give her that. She wanted to protect her sister and I understood the need to protect one's blood. I only had my uncle and we didn't see eye to eye but I would still destroy the world in my quest to ensure he was safe. I turned and started to walk once more, this time slowing down so that the witch could follow me at a more comfortable pace.

I kept my eyes open for the glowing E that would show the entrance to the Emporium. We would start there and work our way around. Someone would know something and that was something I was sure of. Anyone in the Emporium would speak if paid enough or pressed enough. I glanced at the witchling walking beside me. Or tortured enough. I really didn't want her to see that but if I needed to do it to get answers I would. I was a mercenary first and foremost and I would show it. I couldn't change who I was for a female I could never have. Not that I wanted to keep her. She was nothing but trouble.

Can't lie

Want female

Take her

Please her

Breed her

I gritted my teeth at the instinct. It was making a liar out of me when it needed to shut up. I couldn't have the little witchling no matter how hard my cock was beginning to ache once more. The thought of the warlock pulling one over on me was like a bucket of icy water but now that I was back to thinking about the witch the erection was returning full force. I did my best to ignore it as I spotted the wanted letter.

"There we are." I pointed to the letter and the witchling nodded as she moved closer.

"I've never been there." She sounded wary and I didn't blame her. The Emporium had a reputation and it wasn't entirely a good one but nothing would hurt her. I would make sure of it.

We stopped in front of it and I grabbed her around the waist, pulling her close. I was unable to help myself as I grinned down at her shocked look as red slowly crawled across her skin. "Marketplace." I pushed off through the portal, holding her close as we moved through the strange sucking that made my organs feel like they swished around inside of me.

I landed on a cobblestone street with Lacey clinging to me, her body shaking. "Wow." She croaked it out into my shirt and I couldn't help but chuckle as I slowly let her go. She blinked rapidly, looking around before a touch of wary excitement entered her gaze. "Wow." That word came out almost breathless and I closed my eyes and nearly grunting at the image it inspired in my mind. Her on her knees before me, looking up at me, her lithe and graceful hands wrapped around my cock.

She was going to be the death of me. She was because I felt like if I didn't fuck her I would keel over with want. I shook my head slightly before reaching out and gently touching her elbow to get her attention. I gestured to the closest shop. It was a general magick goods store. More than likely it was black market and they would be a good place to start.

~~~~~

They weren't. We had been in and out of nearly ten shops and had heard nothing about what we needed to hear. I was starting to get highly agitated and the little witchling was starting to get tired. I could see it in how she walked and how it seemed painted across her face. She must not have been used to such work. I wasn't surprised because females never should have to worry about doing this kind of work.

I wanted to tell her we could head back to the motel but something caught my attention. I glanced over and a Fae male motioned for us to come over by an alley way. I narrowed my eyes at him but he merely shook his head and motioned for us to come over once more. I glanced at Lacey but she hadn't seemed to notice. I tapped her back and jerked my head towards the Fae male as he moved further into the alley way.

"We might have found a potential lead." I started to make my way over to the Fae male, the little witchling lagging slightly behind me. She really needed to go for a lay down. I made a mental note to take her back to the motel and let her rest while I continued. I could get a few more answers without her around.

"Heard you have been looking for a certain werewolf and a certain witch." The Fae male stayed in the shadows and I grunted, crossing my arms over my chest as I leaned against the wall, simply staring at him. He looked fidgety as he glanced down the alley way before his gaze went to Lacey. I shifted, breaking his ability to look at her. He coughed lightly. "If you are looking for them, I would head to Prestige. There is a female that goes by the name of Cherri that might have information for you." With that he moved out of the shadows and away.

"That was... helpful?" At Lacey's voice I shrugged, we would see if the tip panned out or not. "Should we go?" I shook my head, turning around and looking at her. "Why?" She blinked up at me with a rather innocent confusion.

"You are tired and not used to this type of work. We can go later but you need some rest." I went to move by her, grabbing her hip and turning her around. She looked like she wanted to protest but I glanced down at her, daring her to say anything as I lead her out of the alleyway. "You are going to rest." And there wasn't anything she could say to make me change my mind.