Chapter Sixteen: Strange Happenings

Each portal orb had four changes before they stopped and it was irritating because we only had three to use. We had made it to the last town but we were down to our last portal orb. I was irritated and more than a little frustrated because my bag of 'magick tricks' that Mercutio had provided me with was virtually useless. It was all stupid trinkets, lower level spells, and minimum use portal orbs. There was nothing in there that one could expect when their supposed fiance sent them out on a dangerous mission that could end in them getting killed. There was nothing in there to protect me.

The more I thought about it, the worse I felt towards the King of the Covens. I couldn't trust him, that much was clear now. He had lied to me, provided me with a cheap bag of tricks, and had done all the things men had done to me before. He had talked a smooth game to get what he wanted out of me. What that was exactly I didn't know and I wasn't happy about that. I felt ridiculous and stupid for believing him at all. My skin crawled at the thought of having anything to do with him, especially with him touching me. Although I didn't know if that was due to him or Abe.

I glanced towards the check out where Abe was talking to several employees about whether or not they had seen Bam and the werewolf in the area. We had come to learn that Bam had been shoplifting in the stores in all the places that Cherri had provided us with. It didn't surprise me but it did make me sigh a bit. I loved Bam, I did but sometimes she got just a little too wild.

I shivered rubbing my arms as I hunkered down into my jacket. Abe had offered to take me back to the motel a few times but I had to be stubborn and I refused but I really just wanted to lie down. I wasn't feeling well, I felt chilled and exhausted and I didn't exactly know what to think about it. I also didn't know how to explain it to Abe, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to tell him. I was trying to be an equal partner in this little venture but me tapping out made me just as useless as everyone said.

I could hear laughter from some of the human females and when I looked towards Abe I could see him smirking at them. It hurt a bit. I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to think about that. He still hadn't mentioned the night before and I was too embarrassed to bring it up myself. I still didn't know how to really react or act around him and there was something deep inside of me that told me to be myself, that it was all that Abe needed to see. I didn't particularly like that part of me because no guy wanted to see me in my natural state.

I shoved my hands into my pockets and swallowed hard as I looked at the tile floor. I scuffed my sneaker over a muddy spot, trying to wipe it away. I just needed to keep pushing forward and do my best to keep it cool. If Abe could switch it off then I could as well. I heaved out a sigh at the thought, that was easier said than done. I couldn't stop flushing or nearly stuttering when he asked me a question. I was a mess.

"Hey, you've been standing here for a while. You okay?" At the friendly question I glanced up and realized an employee had come over, a human one at that.

He was looking at me expectantly and I gave him a small smile. "I'm alright. Just a little tired that's all." I Resisted the urge to shiver as a wave of cold washed over me once more. Something was definitely off with me.

"Okay." He nodded slightly at that before shoving his hands into his pockets. "My name is Andy." He glanced at me again and I gave him another small smile before brushing some hair from my face.

"That's nice. My name is Novis." The name slipped out before I could stop it but I didn't feel like I wanted to correct it. Abe called me Lacey and I almost wanted to keep it that way, something between us that no one else was in on.

"That's a pretty name." He gave me a wide smile at that, his eye crinkling at the corners.

I nodded at the compliment, feeling my cheeks heat up slightly. "Thank you." My gaze fell back to the muddy spot on the floor and I returned to trying to clear it away with the toe of my shoe.

"Sooooooo..." He drug the word out and I glanced at him again, watching him rock back and forth on his feet. "We don't get a lot of women like you around. Do you want to get a drink when I get off work so I can get to know you better?" He met my gaze and I blinked in surprise, not sure of how to respond at the rather blunt question. I never really got asked out like that, or at all.

"She's busy." At the snapped out, nearly growled words both Andy and I turned to Abe. He looked large and intimidating as he stared down at the human male, a heavy rumbling coming from his chest. "We have work to do." His jaw was twitching as he narrowed his eyes at Andy. "Move along." It was a sharp dismissal that Andy flinched at right before he looked at me, his eyes almost imploring before he slunk away.

"He asked me out." I blinked rapidly again as I watched him walk away. I wasn't quite sure on how to react to that. I was flattered, I really was. It wasn't like I got invitations like that all the time. It was nice to know I was attractive enough to be approached.

"And you are surprised by that?" Abe gave a heavy scoff as he moved closer to me. "Everything is in the clear here. Your sister has been here twice, same as everywhere but South Deeprook." He was staring at me intently and I couldn't bring myself to look up at him so I returned to trying to get rid of the gritty spot on the floor. A warm hand gripped my chin and Abe pulled my face back to look at him. "Are you okay, Lacey? You are pale and cold." His hand moved so the back of it was pressed to my cheek as his eyes narrowed, his expression darkening.

I nodded, pulling away from the touch slightly. I still wasn't sure on how it made me feel. The desire was ever present but there was something else there that made me antsy. "I think I'm still experiencing a bit of a reaction to the invigorating potion. Probably some cheap knock off ingredients that linger a little more than quality ones." It was the only explanation I had for how I felt. I knew just how dangerous it was to use the cheap alternative or knock off ingredients instead of the real, high quality ones, even lower quality ingredients were better than them and that was saying something. I shivered at the cold wave that rolled over me, I was surprised my breath didn't fog or my teeth didn't chatter with how cold I felt.

"Might be something in your bag of tricks that could help with that." He shoved his hands into his jean pockets and rocked back on his heels as he jerked his chin towards the backpack.

I shook my head. "Lower level healing potions mainly, nothing that will fix an allergic reaction." I had checked but once I had discovered how useless about ninety-nine percent of the stuff was I realized I was sweet out of luck in that department.

"You have any of the portal spell orbs left?" At the question I tucked some hair behind my ear and nodded. We were lucky we had one left.

"Just one." I wanted to sigh at that but Abe did it for me. The sound hissing between his teeth with agitation.

"Look at how prepared your fiance is." His tone was slightly mocking and I winced slightly at the proclamation.

"I never agreed to marry him. I'm not his fiance." I didn't know why I felt the need to tell him that, to let him know that I wasn't attached to Mercutio in anyway. For some stupid reason I didn't want him to think I was tied to anyone else like that.