Chapter 4

Elizabeth's P. O. V
One week.
One week since we actually had a proper conversation. One week since I was stupid and touched him.
He tried though. Cole didn't stop trying to communicate, even though I made it clear that I didn't want to talk. The last thing I said to him was an order. I ordered him to stay in the store while I went outside for supplies like clothes and shoes.
Even though he was about to protest, I already left. I don't know why I was taking this so seriously, but to be honest- I'm only making myself more upset. What happened to my usual brave behaviour? Why was I suddenly fearing every encounter with him? The real question is: Why am I stressed for him to live?
He's a damn adult that can take care of himself and I'm not his damn mother. So why am I so protective?
I shook my head as I entered the thrift store across the road. The whole street was abandoned, which made it easier to roam around without too much worry of being reported.
I pushed the door open and started with gathering clothes.
The only female clothes were dresses and skirts. There were no shirts or shorts or shoes, so I moved on to the men's section.
I picked out a pair of military boots for myself and Cole, and a gray shirt for him and baggy black track pants. I'll probably ask Cole if I could wear his shirt that he's currently wearing since all the shirts here might as well be dresses. I'll keep my shorts, even though they're a size or two too small.
I raced back to the grocery store. Cole hadn't moved- thank God.
I tossed him the clothes I picked out for him, making him jump at the sudden impact.
I then took care of myself, yanking off my worn down boots and tossing them to the side. I wasted no tome tugging on the new pair.
The material was stiff from being unused for such a long time, and the laces were but fluffy from the previous owners tugging on them. I flexed my feet. Not bad.
Cole didn't bother to find somewhere private to change. He yanked off his top and threw it to the ground, replacing it with the gray shirt I got him. I tried not to look as he pulled his pants down and yanked on his track pants. While he was putting on his boots, I fetched the green shirt frim the ground and while his gaze was locked on to his boots, I pulled off my shirt and smoothed out the creases in his.
"Hey Sunshine"
I froze. I slowly turned around to see him with his mouth wide open. I blushed and turned my gaze back onto his shirt, wringing it out and fumbling with the hem. Why was he staring at me like that?
I shoved my arms through the short sleeves and tugged it up to my shoulders. And just when I was about to pull it over my head...
"What happened here?" Cole whispered tracing the scar slicing across my spine. His warm fingers danced around the deep curve of my waist.
I lowered my arms and my shirt slid down to my wrists. My back was pressed against his back and his arms were locked around me, his hands joined in front if my hips.
"I..." I started, struggling to find the words to answer his question. I shook my head. "A PSF had a whip and punished me with it"
I gulped as I felt his lips brush against my shoulder. I shivered and my hand freed itself from the shirt and clenched and fistful of his, taking him by surprise. Cole's lips dotted a trail from my shoulder, to my neck, to the back of my jaw...
I grasped reality the second it presented itself and pushed Cole away, and I ran behind and isle and hastily put on the shirt.
What the hell?

Cole's P. O. V
I felt my heart shatter when she pulled herself away and chose to hide behind an isle. Oh my God, why did I do that?
Ever since Lizzie started ignoring me it's been driving me nuts. I don't know why, and I don't know how.
But I wanted her attention so f*cking badly.
I dragged a hand down the side of my face and went to lean against one of the fridges that weren't working. Great. Sunshine isn't going to talk to me.
Maybe I should leave without her to find Liam and Gem. She sure looks like she doesn't need me- and I hate feeling like a burden. The only reason I'm still here is because I owe her for saving my life.
I felt myself straighten the second I heard footsteps echo along the tiles. I looked up.
"Sunshine?" I called. I suddenly heard a bang. I leapt to my feet.
"Sunshine?!" I yelled, fear chasing my heart.
"Cole!" Lizzie screamed, appearing at my side. She tugged my arm. "We have to go, come on..."
She looked nervous. I grabbed her shoulders and looked her dead in the eye.
"What's going on?"
Lizzie wasn't looking at me. She was afraid of something behind me.
"You! Step away from the blue" someone demanded from behind me. I turned around with a fistful of Lizzie's shirt in my hand. That's actually mine, but..
Ugh! Focus.
"P*ss off" I growled. The PSF aimed her gun at me and wasted no time pulling the trigger.
Instead of feeling the sickening pain, I felt nothing. I only felt the slam of my body being pushed out of the way and I only got a glimpse of what happened. Lizzie. Lizzie pushed me.
I thought she was going to die. But her eyes flashed blue and the bullet spun around and flew into our attacker's head.
She grabbed my arm and yanked me to my feet and we bolted out the store, Lizzie scrambling for the first aid kit. I found a car and grabbed Lizzie's arm, smashing the window with my elbow and tossing her in.
"Hey!" I heard her whine. But the rest of her complaints were cut off as I dove in, landing directly beside her.
We were lucky. They keys were embedded beside the steering wheel and the second I twisted the key and slammed my foot into the accelerator.