Chapter 10

Lizzie's P. O. V
I walked out of the infirmary wearing a slightly oversized grey t-shirt and shorts that were too short.
I found a brush on one of the draws and defeated my untamable hair, teasing it into a messy bun.
I was ready to leave. Cole didn't have to come. Cole found his brother, which meant he had a family. Did he know that I didn't?
Did he know that I was constantly confined in my own space, because I was vulnerable to a sickness that my parents didn't understand?
I was an embarrassment to them. To their business. To their reputation- and they decided that if I didn't exist, I couldn't hurt any of their riches. No more school. No more outside. No more friends.
I was confined in my room, where only a hole in the wall was my window. My food was delivered through there, and the rule was to always wait a minute before I touched the food.
I was a disgusting animal that they pretended to love. They never screamed at me, but in their emotions they did. They never presented their hate, but their faces did. The world has a funny way of denying its feelings.
I jumped when I bumped into Ruby. I snatched myself away and eyed her smile suspiciously. "Hey Elizabeth, I'm sorry I did that to you. You know, the orange stuff?"
I nodded, but didn't smile. "S'ok"
"Where are you going?"
"Away" I answered. I pushed past her in one languid movement without touching her. Damn, I should've asked where the exit was.
"You can't leave"
"That's.. None of your business"
Cole was standing in front of me, staring, arms crossed and frowning. I scanned the room for Ruby but she was already gone.
"You can't leave" Cole insisted. His hand closed around my arm stubbornly. I stared at it and refused to meet his gaze.
"You have no say"
"I do, actually"
"No, you don't" I argued. "You have your family back. I don't and never will. So there's no need to worry about me"
Cole laughed without humour. An empty, painful sound that I didn't like. I winced and he chuckled and glared at me coldly.
"So this is what it's about" Cole huffed, throwing his arms out and letting them crash against his sides. "You just don't want to be a third wheel, isn't it? You're jealous"
"I'm not. I just don't belong here"
"You've barely been here for a day-"
"A day is all I need!" I shouted, breathing hard. "I've been thrown into many unknown locations, I know my place in each of them. And that place is none"
I tore my arm out of his grip and finally met his gaze.
His face was unreadable, but his eyes leaked with hurt I didn't understand. "But-"
"But what?"
He was silent, lips pressed into a tight line. The muscles in his jaw tensed and they tension between us thickened. I glared back at him with the same power.
"Cole" I drawled out in a low voice. "Tell me why, or I'll leave"
"You were going to anyway" he snapped.
"So you don't have a reason?"
Cole didn't have anything to say. Looks like I'm leaving.
"Bye" I whispered. I stormed to the exit behind me and threw open the door.

Cole's P. O. V
"Lizzie" I choked out, over the pounding of my heart. I seized her hip with my left hand and drew her into a hug. Wow, unexpected much?
"Please don't go" I begged. I don't like this. I don't like the sound of my voice around her.
"Unless you can give me a reason" she started. "I can't stay"
If felt like my heart was blown apart as she untangled my arms and stormed away. I chased her as she stormed out.
"Leave me alone, Cole"
"Don't go"
"I want to. I have to"
"Explain"
"No" she growled. She power walked and attempted to move past me. "You're acting like a wuss"
"I'm not"
"You're begging" A slight smile graced her lips but it faded before I could say anything.
"Sunshine-"
"No. I'm going because I have no reason to be here. Okay?"
"Not okay" I disagreed. I reached for her arm but she took a step back.
"Cole" she snapped firmly. "I'm going. Move"
"No" I said with equal fierceness. "Going because you're jealous is stupid. Jealous because I have people left? Why do you care? You've been treated like sh*t for so long I'm surprised that you even remember what family is"
I had her. Her eyes darkened slightly and her bottom lip quivered. I backed her up against a wall.
"Maybe you don't" I continued. "Because your family is here"
She snorted a bit at this. "Cheesy much? You're not my family- So don't go parading around saying we're related"
"This place had people that aren't related to you" I reasoned, "but we're the only ones who'll accept you"
"Even with the new law-"
"What law-?"
"that there are no more camps and we're all free to roam around, do you think society is going to let you pass? They'll stare, spit at your feet. Go, if that's what you call family"
Lizzie didn't say anything. She glared at me and frowned and trembled in anger.
"Why do you want me to stay, Cole?" she asked. "Why am I your responsibility?"
"Because I-"
"Because he loves you"
Both of us turned to Liam. I glared at his small smirk. I flicked him the finger and he scrambled away.
"Do you?" Lizzie whispered. Her face was dangerously close to mine. "Cole. Do you?"
F*ck this. I groaned at my own eagerness and pulled her into a kiss.