Chapter 9

Lizzie's P. O. V
I woke up only to be engulfed with panic. My heart leaped into my throat and I arched my back, only to find myself restrained. I twisted and gasped for air. I was breathing- but I couldn't feel the oxygen rushing through my throat to inflate my lungs. I rolled around for a bit, tugging violently at my restraints.
I heard a door swing open and slam. Cole was suddenly by my side, blonde hair trimmed neatly but still long. His blue eyed gaze was laced with concern.
"Hey, hey, it's me. Don't panic- we're with friends. You're okay. You're okay"
He fumbled with a key and unlocked my shackles. I tumbled on to him, still panicking. His hand latched onto the fabric at the small of my back as he crashed on to his back. He sat himself back up, and arranged my limbs so that he was cradling me in his lap.
"You're okay"
I stopped thrashing. My heart sank back into my chest, and I could breathe.
"I'm..." I croaked quietly, staring at him. "okay?"
"Yes. We're with those people, remember?"
My memories hit me like a truck. The impact so intense, I actually flinched. I do know what that feels like, though. I have been hit by a truck.
"She..."
"Gem is sorry. Okay? She didn't know if you were a good guy or not"
I didn't really believe him, but there was in urge that I couldn't resist to agree. For him.
It was an urge I didn't particularly like, but it was an urge that seemed to make Cole one of my first priorities.
I nodded slowly. "Okay"
I shocked myself with the realisation that I was being strangled like a child's teddy bear in Cole's arms. His skin was warm, cozy in a way. And extremely clean.
When did that happen?
I scrambled out of his reach when I also realised that I was comfortable. Cole snatched himself away.
"Uh, your clothes are over there. Gem picked them. Bye" he said awkwardly.
He dashed out of the room as suddenly as he came.
My heart siezed at the absence of his presence. Why is that? It's not like I care.
My heart siezed again at the thought.
Whatever.
Just as Cole said, there were clothes sitting in a neat stack over a table. I looked around. I was in an infirmary.
I snatched the clothes off the table and approached the mirror hanging above the doorknob. I don't even know what I look like. I've forgotten.
I paused in wonder when I saw the girl staring back at me. She wore a mop of wild brown hair on her head, long and unkempt and curly. Her stormy chestnut eyes stared right back at me, following my every movement. Her beige skin was scrubbed clean, showcasing the many long scars along my left arm. Freckles had exploded across my cheekbones and nose, scattered like an accidental mess. I am an accidental mess. I shouldn't of been born. I reached out to touch the girl's face, and she did too. This is me. Nineteen year old me.

Cole's P. O. V
I was breathing hard. I could even hear my damn heart shuddering in my chest. I don't even remember why I went into that room in the first place. And everything after I passed through that door was a blur. Like I was possessed or something.
F*cking spaz.
Why the hell did I have to hug her? Why did I even do it? It's stupid. I don't like what she's doing to me. Not at all.
But it's not a feeling I regret.
I slammed into Liam on my way out. He looked  slightly annoyed, but I wasn't going to apologise.
Liams gaze darted from the door to me, twice. His annoyed scowl transformed into a knowing smirk, very, very quickly.
"So, since you went into that room alone with her... Did you-"
"No, you dirty minded pr*ck. She had a panic attack so I made sure she didn't break anything"
"Suuuure" Liam drawled, unconvinced.
I mirrored his smirk. "I think you mean you and Ruby just did-"
"Okay, okay. Shut up"
Liam walked off, but turned slightly so he could say something. "It's obvious that you like her, though, you jerk"
And before I could say anything, he was already gone. I inched back into the room and threw the door open, before closing it and running away. I'm scarred. I shouldn't of seen that.
I should've knocked.
She was getting dressed. Jesus, she's hot.
F*ck.
I have to stop thinking about her before Ruby sees what I saw. Jesus.
I took random turns. I just wanted out.
Of course, I'm no virgin, so I don't understand why I'm so triggered. I've seen plenty, but she's different.
Agh, f*ck.
I made a scene. I slammed face first into a door. Ouch.
Ruby pulled me back to my feet, but I snatched my hand back before she could do anything. I wasn't fast enough.
She was smirking widely and proud of it.
"Stop going into my head"
"It's hard when I want a couple to get together and f-"
"Jesus. What's with you and Liam making s*x jokes, Gem?"
"I wasn't! I was going to say I want a couple to get together and find love that they haven't experienced before, before you interrupted me" Gem defended. I rolled my eyes.
"Yeah, okay, sure"
"You should get to sleep. Liam and I are going to stay around for the next few days before we return home. You too"
"What about Lizzie?"
"about that..." she started, nervous. "She doesn't have a  family to go too"
I'm not exactly sure why I chose to freeze. Because I care about her or because... ? I don't know.
"What do you mean?"
"Dead"
"Dead?"
"Do I have to elaborate?"
"No" I said. I stumbled a little as I walked off.
So she's alone.