Chapter 8

Elizabeth's P. O. V
I heard glass being slammed against the wall. I've been in here for hours. I haven't moved and I don't plan on it anyway.
The sound of glass shattering has been repeating itself. But somehow this time or was different. I turned and pressed my face against the gap between the door and the wall once again. Cole gripped the broken bottle, almost nervously as he approached the door. I froze as a loud knocking sound rang out across the room. Oh My God.
I scrambled out of the bathroom, despite the sickening anxiety of facing him. Cole sent me a look. His free hand twitched painfully from side to side as he did so.
"Hide" he whispered. I rolled my eyes.
"I've lived with PSFs longer than you, Cole. Don't treat me like a kid"
I raised my hands and prepared myself as Cole lifted his foot and kicked the door open.
"Stop!" Cole screamed. It was so loud I jumped and stumbled back, flinging a vase against the wall. It shattered loudly. Shards flew and bounced off the floor.
Cole glared at me. I smiled sheepishly.
I realised we had guests.
At the doorway, with their fists still hovering over where the door originally was, was a girl with long, dark hair and dark eyes. Beside her was boy with tousled blonde hair and ocean blue eyes. He had is arm securely locked around her waist.
He looked like Cole.
"Oh Jesus" the blonde boy whispered, shaking his head and rubbing his eyes. "Cole, you d*ckhead. You aren't dead"
"Wow" Cole said sarcastically, "Miss you too"
"Oh my God" they girl cried. The boy and her shared a kiss.
"Um sorry to interrupt" I coughed. Cole reached for my arm but I pulled it out of his reach. "Who are you? Since you aren't here to kill us, I mean"
Cole spoke before they did. "Well, Sunshine, the *sshole over there is my younger brother, Liam. That's his girlfriend, Ruby. A. K. A gem"
"Gem?" I asked.
"Yeah, a nickname. Why, are you jealous already?"
"In your dreams" I retorted, turning away from his mischievous smirk. I met the gaze the girl. Suddenly, I heard her voice whisper into my mind. My eyes widened.
"Get out!" I snapped. She was looking into my memories. I didn't want her to. "Get out!"
What oranges didn't know about their victims is that the victims see everything that they see.
I couldn't move. She looked into my secrets. 'Are you good or not?' she demanded.
My fear paralysed me. I didn't have enough good secrets and memories to prove that I was a good guy. I've murdered people. I've tricked them. She can see it all.
"Gem, stop!" Cole yelled. His voice was sightly inaudible, I could barely understand. Cole suddenly yanked me into his chest as I collapsed. He shifted his grip until he was cradling me against his heart, my head tucked into the nook between his shoulder and collarbone.
I couldn't blink. Everything Ruby saw flashed before my eyes. The way I tore bones apart when the PSI controllers tore someone else's. If anything, she was seeing influence, not defense. Ruby suddenly released me, and I slumped in Cole's arms.
Liam had one arm around Ruby. She was crying. She saw too much.
She saw the past I tried so hard to forget. And now she probably thinks I'm a monster.
"Cole.." I whispered. Blackness took over.

Cole's P. O. V
"Sh*t" I muttered. "What the hell did you do?"
"She's done some serious crimes, Cole" Gem sobbed. "You didn't know?"
My anger seemed to expand within my chest, and fire sparked between my fingers. I gritted my teeth and ignored it, forcing myself under control.
"I don't care. She saved my life and now I owe it to her" I paused before opening my mouth to say the rest. "You had no right. You can't just f*ckin' do that!"
"She was just suspicious" Liam defended, but Gem stopped him before he could say anything else. She sighed guiltily and fiddled with the hem of her shirt.
"No, he's right. I'm sorry"
"Say that to her when she's up"
"I will"
Before tension could take over, Liam spoke. "There are no more camps. It's safe to come out, now"
"What do you mean..."
"Yes Cole, we did it" Gem grinned. I gagged as Liam pressed a kiss against her hair.
"Oh my God" I smiled. "We did it"
"We did"
"You went to Thurmond"
"I did"
Liam's hand tightened around her waist. I scrunched up my nose. "Can you not? It's kinda gross"
"Says you. You've been alone with that girl for the past few weeks"  laughed.
"We didn't do anything"
"Hard to believe"
"If we did, you would be seeing me-"
"Okay, enough" Liam blushed. I chuckled. Still innocent.
"The Ranch is still open. We can talk over there"
"You have a car, right? I've been stealing them for days" I groaned. I smiled as I remembered Lizzie taking care of me.
"That's illegal, you know"
"Whatever" I shrugged. "It's still fun"
Gem rolled her eyes and walked over to punch me in the shoulder.
"C'mon, let's go"
Liam wrapped an arm around Ruby and tucked her under his arm. I shifted Lizzie in my arms and followed them.
Finally, the hard work we've done is paying off. No more camps. No more PSI controllers.
I wonder what she'll say, Lizzie. I wonder if she'll even believe it after being treated like sh*t for her whole life.

I will be editing Snowy4ever's stories. Check her out. She's super cool.
Most of the time 😁
Thanks Rebels for reading this. I hope it was worth waiting a month.... Sorry about that too.
C ya 💜