Chapter 5

Elizabeth's P. O. V
I gritted my teeth and clenched the sides of my seat as the car shot forward, my surroundings blurred as Cole yanked the side of the he steering wheel, guiding the car roughly into a sharp turn.
He straightened the leg on the accelerator, and I was thrown back into my seat as he drove us out of sight.
"Close one, eh Sunshine?" Cole laughed, taking one hand off the wheel to punch my arm.
I sent him a glare. "I was lucky enough escape with my life from that grocery store- but if anything, I was closer to death with you driving"
He rolled his eyes and his hand retreated to rest on his thigh. "How flattering. Would you rather drive then?"
I thought about it. "Then we'd definitely die"
Cole laughed, but my face remained straight and serious. I froze and Cole reached over to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. "Lighten up a bit Sweetheart"
"I would if you stopped with the nicknames"
"Whatever helps you sleep at night, dollface"
I felt my heart flutter, and it shocked me more the realisation that I escaped the PSFs again. Cole's hand lingered beside my neck. I could feel the heat radiating off it, and the gentleness when it brushed my shoulder. Before he could pull away, I grabbed his wrist and looked him in the eye before doing a stunt of my own. I laced my fingers with his briefly, enjoying the way he tensed as I squeezed his palm before letting my hand return to my side.
"Thanks for saving my life, Red" I said quietly, before turning back to face the window.

Cole's P. O. V
When she turned away, I felt my heart jump into a spasm. It wasn't the type my hand goes through when I'm trying to control it, but the type of spasm that was kind of nice.
Sh*t. I'm going soft.
I did my best to focus in the road when my mind was concentrated on her. What the hell?
My gaze flickered to her once again, to see her tracing the jagged edges of the broken window with her finger.
"Don't touch that" I blurted out suddenly.
Lizzie glared at me. "I'm not trying to kill myself. Take a chill pill"
Silence. I didn't say anything as she turned back to the view, her hands clenched in fists against her lap.
It was so f*cking awkward. What did I do? She's been ignoring me for one whole week. Would she like to make that a month? If this was someone else, I'd happily confront them without hesitation. But with her- it's so difficult to bring myself to even talk to her because... Because...
I don't know. It feels like my heart has leapt out of my chest and I forget how to breath because suddenly my whole world is all about her. I don't even know what it means! Maybe I want to kill her, because that's how I recognise the feeling when Claire died. It was his fault. I lost my sister to that *sshole and he deserved every ounce of anger that my abilities can express. I'd make sure he would burn slowly.
I'm not going to lie- but Lizzie does make me want to kill her when she's being difficult. She such a stubborn little b*tch.
I don't want to kill her though. But the way she's acting right now... I'll say I'm tempted. But it's not like I can force her to talk unless I want to be thrown around like a rag doll.

Lizzie's P. O. V
The car got us far enough before the engine started to sputter and eventually gave out.
We were lucky enough to make it through another night with no PSFs around, which gave us a chance to break into more cars.
Cole smashed the windows.
I sat on the side watching him do it.
A few more hours passed before we were left with a truck with half a tank of gas.
"Do you even have an idea of where we were going?" I grumbled as I climbed in with the medical kit, locking my seatbelt in place as I got comfortable.
"Yup" he answered briefly, crawling over me to the driver's seat. "Just don't know exactly where"
"That's reassuring" I said sarcastically.
"We'll go to a hospital is Virginia which isn't far away"
"Why? It's not like we're dying"
"I think I'll find someone there. The original place I wanted to go to has people that don't really like me that much"
I  slumped into my seat.
"Oh and Sunshine?" Cole began. I looked at him. A few moments of silence passed between us, and his gaze hardened. "Never mind" he said, and we drove away.
He wanted to go to a hospital. Why?
I twisted to fit my body between the seats and reached out a hand to grab a bottle of water and the medical kit.
I didn't know how that bottle of water ended up here, but it was cool to touch
There was also a torch in the back seat, and it functioned well.
"I love seeing you shove your *ss in my face, but I would also love to have a clear view of the road so we don't crash. What are you doing?"
I returned into my seat with the kit, bottle and torch in my hands- as well as a glare for his recent comment. I noticed the way Cole was holding his elbow and the slight frown adorning his face.
They sky wasn't dark, but it was a dim blue which was dark enough to the point where I needed a torch if I wanted see small details and colours.
I snapped on the torch and set that to the side before grabbing Cole's arm and prying his fingers roughly off his elbow.
"Ow! What the hell?" he yelped when I finally removed his fingers. His hand latched onto the steering wheel with panic There was a large purple bruise blooming on the edge, and there were smudges of blue as well.
I unbuckled my seat belt and crossed my legs, shifting to face him. I prodded his elbow with my thumbs gently.
" Just bruised" I mumbled, yanking his elbow to rest on my knee. I grabbed the water bottle and held it to the bruise.
"Sunshine! I need two hands-"
"Well suck it up and learn something new. You're injured"
I didn't miss the way Cole rolled his eyes, even though he wasn't looking at me.
"Hate you"
"You're welcome"