Chapter 13

Lizzie's P. O. V
I threw myself forward with another feral scream, except the power behind it raged with control. Cole caught me by the waist again and managed to pin me down despite my vicious struggles. Thousands of thoughts flooded my brain, too fast to understand, too fast to recognise. Voices chanted in my ears. I could already see their blood, I could feel it on my hands- but it was an illusion. An illusion that deserved to be real. My eyes were locked on the bodies sprawled across the floor, slowly dragging themselves closer together. I lifted the woman into the air. Her body dangled helplessly and she whimpered as I closed my fist. "Where are the rest of the kids?"

"I'm not-"

Cole's hand erupted into angry flames. His arm dropped from around my waist and a smirk appeared on his face. "You were saying?"

The woman gulped nervously. I clenched my fist and released. "Van" She mumbled. I squeezed my fingers into my palm. Blood trickled down my wrist. "They're in the van!" She cried out. I dropped the woman and left her gasping for air and cradling her broken ribs. Cole's fire shrunk and vanished. He scoffed with disgust.

"Let's go, Sunshine"

We raced out the door. My legs moved faster, adrenaline flooding my system and fear sparking within me. My feet drummed against the asphalt. Cole was in front of me, sprinting towards the van. It's engine burst into a roar. I could hear the panicked screams of the kids.  I threw my hand out, hoping to stop it from moving. But I wasn't close enough. I chased the car down the road and screamed. Trees collapsed in front of the van. Ledges from the road reached for the sky. The van swerved and it's wheel's screeched. "No!" I yelled. The van was thrown on to its side. I groaned in effort as I tried to drag it towards me. Cole was already on top of the van, hunched over its side. He pried open the door and tossed out a masked stranger with a grunt. Kids poured out, wrists bound, mouths gagged, eyes blindfolded. Small screams of terror and confusion tore through their throats. I trembled angrily. I latched on to the driver and dragged his body roughly towards me, letting his skin graze the asphalt and limbs sprawl awkwardly. Cole joined me, teeth bared like an animal. He tore off the mask. A man with tousled, sweat- clumped hair had blood bursting out of his temple. He groaned and his head lolled back. I fisted his sweaty hear and forced him to look at us.

"Who do you work for?"

The man only broke into a husky, hysterical laugh drowning with malice. I wanted to kill him there and then. Cole drove his fist into the man's cheekbone. It snapped with a sickening crack and tormented scream.

"Why did you try to kidnap these kids?"

"Why do you need to know?"

Another punch, upwards from the chin. I shook the stranger by his hair and let his whimpers strengthen my fierceness. "Answer me!"

Somebody touched my shoulder. Ruby. I jerked away from her cool touch and dragged the man with me. Understanding and hurt flashed across her face- Something I admired but hated. Why is she so understanding? Why is she so...

Kind?

Coldness rushed up my wrist as she glared at the man's face. I jolted nervously. Being this close to somebody who's done enough damage was enough to bring back memories of nightmares that were actually real. The man slumped in my grasp and a series of whimpers escaped his mouth. He jerked his head from side to side, pulling at his roots. I shook him, but he didn't stop.

"No. No!" The stranger began to scream. "Stop it! That isn't yours to see, you witch!"

I broke his ribs just for saying that. I think I broke three, approximately. But by the way he's writhed and screamed, It's hard to tell. How can he call Ruby the witch when he's the one who tried to kidnap innocent, parentless kids? How can he call Ruby a witch when the evil is in him, not her? Doesn't he see his mind is poisoned by hate? Doesn't he see that what he does is still wrong?

Cole took my free hand in his own and kissed my dirt-stained knuckles gently. Strands of blond hair fell into his endless blue eyes. His hand was warm. It was distracting and comforting. The stranger started to wriggle again, and Cole kicked him before I could. I sent him a small smile, meant for him. Liam gagged from behind him.

"Shut up *sshole"

"Well can you eat each other's faces later? We're trying to get answers at the moment"

I rolled my eyes and Cole winked at me. He pried my finger's off the stranger's hair and took my place. I rolled my eyes again. "Gentleman, are you?"

Cole snorted. "You wish"

But I don't. I like him, the way he's rough around the edges handsome. The way he fights ruthlessly for all the right reasons. The way he always put's me first. I blushed and tore my gaze away. "Stop it"

"I didn't do anything-"

"Shut up"

Ruby's brows knotted together in frustration. The stranger whimpered and slumped. "I'm sorry, Romelle. I'm so, so sorry"

"What do you know about the kidnapping?"

"Romelle" the stranger wailed. Tears traced trails down his cheeks. "Romelle- I was too late"

"What do you know about the ambush?"

The stranger's jaw went slack. His eyes were wide and glassy and locked into place with Ruby's.

"She wants to make you weapons. She wants an army. She wants and needs. Oh, Ro-"

"Who is 'She'?" I interrupted. 

"Mother. Mother of all. She wants an army. She wants slaves. She wants- ROMELLE!"

I flinched. The man's hand was locked around my ankle. I pulled it impatiently, nervously even. I kicked his head and stamped on his wrist but he didn't let go. Cole smacked the strangers head against his fist angrily- but it had no result. Cole trembled. His calmness didn't seem to show or appear when he most needed it. He took short, broken breaths and snatched the man's arm. The stranger cried out. When Cole pulled away, a giant, red hand mark was left over slightly decayed skin. He dropped the stranger and left him to weep over  'Romelle'

Cole seized my hand. "I don't want to see the retard's face anymore. Let's go, Sunshine"