Chapter 5 - Living Arrangement

Aria's POV

Something was not right with me. I was sitting in ice-cold water in the middle of winter. But since that day at the cafe, everything seemed to get worse. Olivia had to move back to her parents since I was no longer able to assist with the expenses and she couldn't carry it on her own. I couldn't let my faults bare burden on her so I suggested she move to them for a bit. I told her I was moving out to a distant Aunt. I lied. I'm staying here on my own. It's better this way for now.

I found myself doing a lot of this. Staring into thin air. The truth is I haven't managed to stop thinking about the cafe incident. About whether Ruby is alive or dead. About whether the cops will knock on my door one of these days for fleeing the scene of a crime. About him...

He has changed. Definitely not the same boy I remember. He threatened mine and Oli's life. It gives me chills still thinking about it. Or maybe that's just the ice-cold bath ... Either way, reality only hit me the next day that I was in the middle of a shooting. There were gunshots all around my head and I even saw the inside of a barrel myself. At the time, I didn't seem phased but that was the adrenaline of trying to save Ruby. The way my mind has raced since then trying to figure out what Dominic is involved in. This is ridiculous. Its been a month. I will never see him again. If the cops were going to come, they would have by now. I need to stop this crap.

I submerged my head in the water and lay there for a short while before coming back up. As I came up I heard a soft knock on the door. It was so low that I was unsure if there even was one. Maybe I was hearing the neighbors door being knocked on. Either way I jumped out, wrapped myself in a towel, grabbed another to dry my hair and made my way to the door. I stood staring at the closed door and listening.

I am not about to step outside half-naked for the neighbors if there is nobody at my door. As I was about to return to the room I saw a shadow under the door and heard the shuffling of feet beginning to walk away from my door. Shit, it was for me. I quickly opened the door hoping it was some good news. Maybe news of my work situation. As I opened the door my eyes first saw the smart shoes then trailed up the suit pants all the way to the face. That face.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me," I grunted. I began to slowly close the door. "Look, I didn't speak to any cops, nor was I there when they arrived. Thank you and goodbye."

The door nearly made it. It nearly closed. But just before it did his foot was in the doorway and his hand stopped the door.

"I am just here to talk." He said softly.

"Talk or threaten me again?"

"Aria, I am serious."

"So am I," I stated, raising my eyebrows, unsure of where this was going or unable to read the atmosphere surrounding us.

"It's about Ruby..." He said slowly.

Shit. Don't tell me she died. No Ari, just close the door and be done with it. Stop caring. I battled myself for a few seconds before losing. I opened the door a little more, not enough that was inviting to him to come in, but enough for him to see me fully and me him. It was then he looked at me. Up until then, he didn't leave my eyes. He first looked at my wet hair then the towel in my hand to the towel wrapped around my body. The only thing covering me right now. A small breeze comes from outside and I feel myself shiver slightly.