Eight

Lou was well aware that this wolf was Cain, but she wasn't at all afraid of him. He was the biggest wolf she'd ever seen, and yet she knew he'd never hurt her. She'd always been more comfortable around wolves than people. To the wolves, a Lycan was a Lycan, pure-blood or not. It was simpler. Other wolves were either pack members or not, potential mates or not, threats or not. The world was black and white to them, and that made her trust them more than their human counterparts.

She ran her hands through his fur, his blue eyes closing as he leaned into her. He was a beautiful wolf, although that shouldn't have surprised her at all. He was an incredibly handsome man, why wouldn't his wolf reflect that?

Embarrassment flushed through her as she realized how intently she was stroking him, but he obviously was enjoying it. She wasn't sure how she'd be able to look him in the eye, although she had been planning on avoiding human Cain. She hadn't expected to meet his wolf this morning, but here he was. She hadn't had a plan in place for what to do with him and she'd been suckered into giving him attention.

The faint sound of a snowmobile engine coming from the north reached their ears, and Cain's wolf leaned away from her touch. He rose to his feet, ears perked and alert. Based on his reaction, the snowmobile wasn't expected. He barked once at Will's pure white wolf. Will rubbed his head against his mate one more time before dashing up to the porch. They both stared up at her expectantly, then Cain's wolf looked at the door and back at her again. Oh, of course. They wanted to go inside so they could shift and put on clothes. She blushed at the thought of a naked Cain as she pulled the door open for them. They ran inside, obviously comfortable with the act.

"Who would be coming here?" Lou asked Kristine, who was showing Henry how to make a snowball.

The other woman shrugged. "I don't know, but Cain and Will will take care of it. It's likely one of the residents of the village coming to check on us; they do that sometimes, after blizzards."

"The humans?"

She nodded. "My parents used to live in the village; I met Will when I was back for summer break from college. The village a really tight knit group, and they love Cain and Riley. Cain spends a lot of money in the village, and Riley helps when they need a doctor. So, they return the favors by making sure we're all okay after it storms."

Lou had heard very few instances of packs that had a relationship with the humans that lived near them. But Cain's pack was hardly traditional, so she shouldn't have been surprised. "But, don't they ask questions? Like why a group of fifteen people all lives in the same house?"

"I'm sure they do, but not directly. Would you dare to question Cain about anything?"

Lou smirked. "If I were a human, I suppose not."

"Didn't think so," Kristine smiled. She walked up the stairs to the porch, keeping a close eye on Henry, who was playing happily in the snow as he watched Blake and Bryce abandon their snowball fight in lieu of building a snowman. "How are you feeling today? I didn't get the chance to ask you at breakfast this morning."

Lou shrugged. "I'm fine. I was fine yesterday, too. I just need Riley's go-ahead so that I can leave."

"I said it before and I'll say it again," the Beta female commented. "You're safe here."

"Maybe, but they'll come after me, Kristine. Soon. How long do you think it will take them to figure out that the Crimson Pack is the closest pack for hundreds of miles?"

"Cain won't let them take you."

Lou frowned. "Cain doesn't know me, and after I told him off yesterday, why would he want me around at all? I made it very clear I want nothing to do with him, so what does he gain by harboring me when he knows it will only bring the wrath of the High Council down on his pack?"