Twenty-Five

First of all, I'm so sorry that it's been so long since I've updated. No excuses are acceptable, so I'm just going to say I'm sorry and hope that that is sufficient! Thank you for reading and loving Cain and Lou like I do, and I hope you enjoy this newest chapter!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, she missed him.

Lou didn't think she'd ever missed someone like she missed Cain, irritating as the man could be. For weeks he'd never been further than a shout away, and now for the past two days he had been on the other side of the country with possibly another week to go. Her wolf whined for him, not helping Lou's attempts to be less pathetic. She was better than this, stronger than this. She was an Alpha female, and she had better things to do than mope around and miss her male.

At least that's what she told herself as she did just that.

Fortunately, it wasn't just Lou missing someone. Kristine was in the same boat, missing her mate. Of course, the whole pack missed their missing members, but they all had their partners with them, safe and sound. They hadn't sent their heart away like Lou and Kristine.

"Lou, I can feel your negative energy from all the way over here," Ryland scolded from the other end of the couch where they perched. She glanced over at him and rolled her eyes affectionately.

"Don't act like you don't miss him, too," she shot back.

"I do, he's my best friend, but I'm not pining for him the way you are." The wink that followed his statement drew a laugh from her, lightening her mood considerably. Ryland had that effect on her, being the wonderful man that he was.

She cocked her head to the side, lifting an eyebrow at him. "Have you ever pined for Cain?" It was a valid question, seeing as how Ryland preferred men, and Cain was just about the most handsome man she'd ever laid eyes on.

Ryland shrugged, the question not bothering him in the slightest. "I did when we were younger, like maybe twelve? Thirteen? That was right after I figured out I was gay, and the crush didn't last much longer than that. Cain was the first person I told, the only person I trusted with that secret. All he did was shrug and say 'okay' in that oh so eloquent way of his." A smirk graced his face. "I know he hasn't always put his best foot forward with you, but he's the best friend a guy could ask for."

Lou chuckled. "He can be kind of an ass, but he's gotten under my skin."

"Maybe so," Ryland grinned, "but I'd say that you've gotten under his."

Heat rushed to Lou's cheeks and she glanced away. "You think so?"

"Absolutely. I can honestly say I've never seen Cain like this. I bet you guys haven't even slept together yet."

Lou's cheeks got even hotter, if that were possible.

"I knew it," his eyes sparkled with joy, "Lou, Cain doesn't wait to sleep with people. He's a one-and-done kind of guy. Maybe he'll go back for seconds or thirds, but he certainly doesn't wait around for them."

That didn't really surprise Lou, based on what she'd observed of Cain. That's why it was still confusing for her as to why Cain would bother with her at all. She gave Ryland a shy look out of the corner of her eye. "He did tell me this wasn't a fling, whatever this is between us."

Those brown eyes widened slightly before a satisfied smirk stretched across his handsome face. "Like I said, you're under his skin."

She smiled to herself, tucking her chin to her knees as she tucked them to her chest. "I like being there. I didn't think I would so much."