Nine

Xander. Of course it would be Xander that was looking for Lou, because that was just Cain's luck. He wanted to snarl and growl, but couldn't display such animalistic traits in front of Bill, the Fort Yukon police chief and self-appointed caretaker. He liked Bill, and he appreciated the heads up of Xander's presence in town, so it wouldn't bode well to let his wolf's anger appear on the outside.

    "Yes, I know him. He's my brother," Cain said as evenly as he could.

    Bill narrowed his eyes slightly. "Really? I'm surprised he didn't mention that."

    "We don't really like to acknowledge it," Cain admitted. "Did he say what he was doing here?"

    "Said he was here on business and needed to talk to you. I know you're a man who covets his privacy, so I didn't want to send him up here without warning you he was looking for you."

    "I appreciate that Bill, I really do," Cain nodded. "But he'll likely find me anyway. When you get back into town, if he approaches you again, you have my permission to tell him where we are."

    "You sure, Cain?" Bill seemed to sense trouble. People that lived in small communities like he did were suspicious of strangers by nature, and an imposing man like Xander would raise a lot of questions. Bill of all people wouldn't trust him to start.

    "I'm sure. We're good up here. He's probably just looking to visit." And kidnap an innocent female to use a breeding slave, but Bill hardly needed to know that.

    "All right, I trust your judgement," Bill shrugged.

    Now, normally people would offer the man who had just snowmobiled up here on what could hardly be considered a road a cup of coffee or something to eat, but Cain didn't want him here any longer than necessary. The Alpha was open-minded when it came to humans, but he still wanted to keep the fact that they were Lycans a secret, and the more time they spent around humans who weren't privy to what they really were, the more likely it was that their secret would slip out. It was only after Will was certain he wanted to spend his life with Kristine did Cain give him permission to tell her what they were. He didn't mind if wolves mated with humans, but he to didn't find it necessary to tell the entire world about them.

    "Anything else we can do for you, Bill?" he wondered.

    "No, that about covers it," Bill shrugged. "Just wanted to make sure you were all okay up here and and to let you know about the Beauford fellow."

    "Again, I appreciate it," Cain told him. "I'll see you next time I'm in town to place an order."

    "I'm counting on it. I'll even buy you a beer," Bill said as he placed his helmet back on and started his snowmobile. After he had pulled away, Cain finally allowed himself to snarl. He clenched his fists in fury. The last time he'd seen Xander, his brother's hands had been dripping with Cain's blood. He touched a hand to his side, over the scars that crawled across his ribs, and growled again.

    "Fuck me," Will said quietly. "Of all people, Xander's the one that's looking for her?"

    Cain just closed his eyes and shook his head. He should've realized this was a possibility, but of the thirteen members of the council, what were the chances that Xander was the one in charge of acquiring the purebred female?

    "You need to let me leave," Lou's voice was strong and confident as it crossed the space between them. He looked up at her and met her gaze evenly. She was a strong Alpha female, there was no doubt about that. She should have been scared out of her wits that they were this close to finding her, but Cain could only sense the smallest about of dread coming from her. She was braver than most wolves he knew.