Seventeen

"Don't you dare try to get up," Joey warned the rogue in a low voice as the much smaller man tried to get to his feet.

Lou couldn't care less about the rogue. Her brother was here, right in front of her, going right back to his self-appointed duty of protecting her. His boot was planted right on the rogue's shoulder as he turned back to Lou.

"You sure you're okay?"

"Yes, Joey, I'm fine," she assured him, and she certainly was now that he was here. She couldn't stop herself; she ran to him and wrapped her arms around his waist, holding him as tight as possible. "I missed you so much."
"I missed you, too, Lou," he smiled, hugging her in return.

"Where have you been, Joey? I didn't think I'd ever see you again," she admitted sadly.

"I've been home. Lance and Dad are going nuts looking for you."
But not because they loved her... because the High Council wanted her. "I'm sure they are. How did you manage to get away from them?"

He barked a laugh. "You think they want anything to do with me now? In Dad's exact words, 'Not only are you a faggot, but you lost the only hope for our kind to remain untainted by humans. You're a disappointment, and you're no son of mine.' So I packed my stuff and came to find you since I knew exactly where you were."

Lou's heart broke. It sounds like something her father would say, but it still wasn't fair to Joey that anyone talked to him like that, ever. "I'm sorry, Joey."

"You know for a fact I haven't cared what he thought of me since I was fifteen years old. I'd rather be here with you anyway," he assured her, squeezing her tightly. But she knew Joey better than anyone, and she sensed a sadness in him. It couldn't feel good to be rejected by the people who were supposed to love you unconditionally.

"I'm so glad you're here," she sighed. They were better off together anyway.

"I would've come sooner, but Xander was all over me and the pack, looking for any sign of you."

"Did he give up?"

"I wouldn't say that, but he's definitely discouraged. We'll talk more about it later. Cain's on his way over here."

She tensed at his words, nervous about Cain's presence in general, but Joey definitely felt her reaction. "Lou, what happened? Did something happen with him? Did he try something?"

Stepping away from him, she just sighed heavily. "I'll tell you when we're alone, okay? And the rogue's taken care of."

"Okay..." he said, a warning in his voice. The last thing she needed was her brother starting a fight with the Alpha just because she was messed up.

"Lou, what happened?" Cain's rumbling voice reached her and she hesitated as she turned around. "Are you okay?" His blue eyes were full of concern, and his nose crinkled at the stench of the rogue wolf.

"I'm fine. He was trying to take me," she said softly, not looking directly at him. "Luckily Joey showed up."

"I saw that," Cain held out his hand. "Good to see you again, Joseph."

"Joey's fine, Cain. It's good to see you, too," her brother said, not entirely friendly. Crap. Of course, he could sense the tension between her and the Alpha; it was nearly palpable in the air.

Cain knelt down beside the rogue, who cowered in the Alpha's presence. He was letting the full force of his status leak onto the male, who looked like wanted to shrivel up into a ball and disappear. "What are you doing in my territory?" Cain's voice was ice cold, the most threatening she'd ever heard it herself.