Twenty

Well, consider this me making up for not updating for two months. I'm updating twice in one night. I told you I had inspiration.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lou swallowed heavily. "Vampires?" Undead, bloodthirsty, cunning monsters. Natural enemies of Lycans. That was at least something the lore got correct about their kind. Lou had never met a vampire for herself, but she'd heard terrible stories.

Cain nodded. "We think so."

"But... why?"

Ryland answered this time. "What better way to truly destroy us? It's still up for debate if they were behind the demise of the females."

Lou frowned. She'd heard that idea thrown around over the years, but had never put much credence behind it. "Do you all think that?"

"There's not many other explanations," Will shrugged. He reached over and grasped her hand, squeezing it gently. "It'll be okay, Lou."

She stared at him for a moment. "Will it?"

The Beta gave her a small smile. "They're just parasites. We've been fighting with them for centuries, and now isn't any different. Now, I haven't seen my wife all day, so if it's all right, I'm going to go be with her for a while?" Once Cain nodded his consent, Will smiled and rose from his seat, Ryland close behind. When Lou didn't follow, she noticed the warrior didn't close the door, for which she was thankful. She didn't need a repeat of the last time she was in this office alone with Cain.

She looked up at the Alpha, whose face was carefully blank. Though his stoic face remained void of emotion as he tapped his fingers on the desk, there was a tension about him that wasn't normally there.

"Are you worried?" she asked him softly.

His gaze flicked to hers and filled with irritation. "I'm not scared of some blood-sucking low lives."

Though Lou had no personal experience with vampires, she knew they were far more dangerous than Cain, or even Will, had implied. They weren't just parasites; they were intelligent, cunning, apex predators. And she didn't doubt that Cain wasn't afraid of them, he was a powerful Alpha wolf, but she wouldn't blame him for being wary or defensive of such a fact like he seemed to be.

But, because she didn't like his tone, she let her own irritation rise. "I wasn't accusing you of being scared, Cain. I asked if you were worried, which any sane wolf would rightfully be."

Of course, they had now entered the endless cycle of responding to the other's temper. "The Alphas you know might worry about some vampires, but I'm not. Let them come for you, they won't get very far, despite your lack of faith in my pack."

"Dammit, Cain," she snarled. "Why are you males so defensive about being cautious? Being cautious is safe, and it's smart! I have total faith in your packs ability to stop some vampires. But if both the Council and the vampires are after me, that's cause for a little caution and smart thinking. And guess what, your immediate, rude response certainly doesn't bode well towards you not being worried."

He rose from his seat and leaned forward on his desk, the muscles in his arms flexing and relaxing from tension. Lou forced herself to tear her gaze away from the wonderful sight and the memory of what those strong arms had felt like the night he'd held her and kissed her senseless. Now was not the time for such thoughts. Especially, since he was, once again, being an ass. Perhaps he really couldn't help it.

"Lou," he said slowly. "Threats to my pack are not dealt with lightly, and they certainly aren't dealt with with fear and worry. If I don't remain calm, the pack doesn't remain calm, and that's when everything goes to shit. So, no, I'm not worried, because I can't be."