Sixteen

With a satisfying smack! Cain's head snapped to the side. The rest of his body didn't move, but it certainly stiffened with tension as more anger rose within him. Anger still boiled with Lou as she watched him closely, waiting to see if he would retaliate. She didn't think he was the sort of man who would hit a woman, but he was certainly the type to hit someone if they hit him first. She knew her actions were completely justified. How dare he speak to her like that? As if she had thrown herself at him? He was the one who had grabbed her like a beast!

    But, as he slowly turned his head back to look at her, a bit trepidation swept over her. She had struck an Alpha. An Alpha who had harbored her, protected her, and essentially took her in as a member of his pack when he certainly didn't have to. His blue eyes were glowing, which meant his wolf was incredibly close to the surface. His body was taut as he held the beast back. She knew she'd brought on the wolf's rage on her own, but it still hurt that the creature was so ready to take her on when it seemed that he always liked her more than Cain did. Although, when a wolf was struck, he would defend himself no matter who did the striking.

    Cain's cheek had turned a bright, angry red as a result of her palm. Her palm, for that matter, tingled from the force of the strike. She didn't think she'd ever slapped someone before. Punched, scratched, kicked, shoved, certainly. What else was she supposed to do when males tried to Claim her against her will? But she'd never slapped someone.

    She swallowed heavily, her first instinct being to apologize, but she still felt it had been justified. He couldn't just talk to her like that, he had no right. That kiss had been wonderful, it had been special, but he seemed determined to make her feel so dirty about it. He lifted his hand and, on instinct, she flinched away from him, tucking her face down toward her shoulder.

    "Oh, God, Lou," he whispered, his voice thick and strained. "I'm not going to hit you."
    She peeked up at him and saw that he was brushing his fingers over his cheek. His blue eyes had stopped glowing and a sadness took over his face. He continued in a gruff voice. "I'd never hurt you."

    "Physically, you mean" she snapped, her anger getting the better of her, along with her embarrassment for flinching. She couldn't fall for his kicked-puppy expression. "You seem determined to hurt my feelings every chance you get. Despite what you think of me, Cain, I'm not easy, nor am I a slut."

He flinched slightly. "I'll admit that came out a bit harsher than was intended."

    "You got your point across just fine," she said, looking away from him and stepped toward the door. "Dinner's almost ready, by the way."

"Wait, Lou." She had just started to pull the door open when his large hand bore down on it and shoved it closed, crowding her against the door. Cornering her. Bile rose in her throat as he essentially locked her in. He was much larger, much stronger, and far better trained than she was, and he was forcing her to stay in a small room with him after she'd hit him. Her blood ran cold. She'd been in too many situations just like this one, and Joey wasn't here to check on her this time.

    Fear sliced through her like a knife as she felt Cain's body behind her, but it didn't matter that it was Cain. It didn't matter that she believed him when he said she was safe with him, nor did it matter that she knew he meant her no harm. That he didn't want her. All that mattered to her suddenly panicked wolf was that a large male was forcing them to remain in a room alone with him when she'd made it clear she wanted to leave.

    She remembered all too well the way the male's unwelcome hands would feel on her, grabbing at her clothes, her breasts, her ass, trying to force himself onto her. If he could Claim her, she would only be able to mate with him. All he had to do was bite her during the mating process, whether she was a willing participant or not. When Claimed, female wolves could only mate with the male who had Claimed them. Before the Claiming, they could bear the pups of as many wolves as they wished. That was why the High Council wanted control of her; if she was under their thumb, they could stop any Claiming and therefore she would be able to bear everyone's pups, not just the male who marked her. But it was also why males had wanted her alone. If they could force their mark on her, she would only be able to bear that male's pups, therefore ensuring that any pups she bore would be his.