Twenty-Four

Lou ran with Joey's tawny wolf loping along beside her. She'd never been much of a runner, but she pushed herself to keep going with Joey so that he wasn't alone tonight. His wolf brushed against her as they ran, keeping in contact with his only official pack member. Human Joey had been readily accepted by the other human sides, but wolves were a little different in how they chose their packmates. Joey's wolf hadn't done much to earn their trust. Besides that, he was another Alpha. One that could possibly try to usurp their current Alpha, and they wouldn't let that go lightly. Lou knew that Joey had no interest in being Alpha, just as the human sides of the Lycans did. Wolves were simple creatures, but once they trusted someone, they were welcomed into the pack folds with gusto.

The moon rose into the darkened sky, where it would only remain for a few hours. Lou's lungs burned from running, she was entirely out of shape for this, and had to stop and walk a few paces. Joey's wolf bounced around her playfully, so she reached over to rub between his ears.

"Just a second, let me catch my breath," she told him. There was a rustling to their right and Joey's wolf suddenly became all business, stepping between Lou and this potential threat. His ears were perked, his lip twitching in a potential snarl, and his body was stock still. Then Ryland bounced through the trees, woofing in greeting.

Joey's wolf immediately relaxed, stepping forward to greet the friendly wolf. Their noses touched curiously and then Lou watched in amazement as Ryland stepped around to rub the length of his body along Joey's. Marking him with his scent.

The tawny wolf's head turned to follow the silver beast as he trotted in a circle around him. Clearly, Ryland was inviting Joey to play and follow him to the other wolves. Lou could see them through the trees, watching Ryland and Joey. Upon seeing Lou, the female they perceived as their Alpha female, they all rushed over to surround her giddily. She smiled and brushed her hands over each of their heads, especially Blake and Bryce's wolves. The lanky pups bounced around her and licked her hands, rubbing their heads against her. She cradled their faces in her hands and bestowed a kiss on each forehead. They were just boys afterall, and it had been a stressful, painful evening for them. She was proud of how well they had shifted and were bonding with the pack. They would start to test the boundaries soon, pushing Cain's wolf to the point of discipline, but it was all a part of being part of pack. They needed to find their place.

"Hello boys," she grinned at all of the wolves. "How was your run?"

They surrounded her, folding her into their pack more than her father's pack ever had. She'd been a part of her father's pack for twenty-four years but she'd never been as accepted for who she was as a person, as a wolf, as she was here. She'd only been here for a month and they meant more to her than the other pack ever had.

The wolves just licked her palms and rubbed against her, greeting her as their Alpha female. She knew that wasn't her official role, it wouldn't be unless she was Cain's mate, but somehow she'd fallen into that role in their lives. She didn't mind it, her own Alpha instincts appreciating the purpose she'd found with this pack.

"Where is your Alpha?" she asked Will's snowy white wolf, having noticed immediately that Cain was not among his pack members. The wolves were ignoring her now though, choosing instead to tentatively greet Joey and invite him to play. She stepped from their masses, before they got too rowdy, and looked around, wondering where Cain might have gone. He was certainly close by, the wolves wouldn't be so calm if he weren't, so she likely didn't have to go far. As long as Joey had a pack to run with, he hardly needed her slow human self to hold him back.

She looked around, recognizing the forest where the moose had chased her. Which meant the lake was over this way...

Oh my.