XIII

"Every bone screaming I don't know what we should do."

 I Was Made For Loving You - Tori Kelly ft. Ed Sheeran 

Queen Katherine and Princess Gwendolyn were eating breakfast on a marble table in one of the gardens, simultaneously watching the maids tend to the flowers around them. In truth, they were only watching one of them.

"She seems nervous," the princess commented right as the young maid started watering flowers, holding the watering can with slightly shaky hands.

"She really is," the Queen chuckled quietly. "I can only imagine what kind of pressure this puts on her, to pretend she is not in love with my son for the sake of us."

"Maybe not for the sake of us but merely for the kingdom."

"I still cannot believe you are completely alright with this situation." The Queen said, eyeing the  princess for any signs of hesitation. She did not find any.

Princess Gwendolyn gracefully sat with her hands crossed on the table in front of her. Fair hair cascaded down her shoulder in waves, and her bright eyes held no doubts.

Except, maybe a few secrets.

"Forgive me for asking, Your Majesty," she started, taking a sip of her tea. "But, are you completely alright with this situation?"

The Queen took a few moments to answer that question, her eyes focusing on Annabelle. She had her hair down instead of tied up now, but she still hid most of her face behind it. The next sentence the Queen uttered came from her heart.

"I want nothing but happiness for my son."

The princess smiled, for she expected that answer. "Still, what about the complications this would bring?"

She was no way against Prince Alexander and Miss Annabelle, but she could just imagine the scandal their love would bring into the kingdom.

Both the Queen and Princess remained looking at the young maid doing her chores. There was a moment where a butterfly landed on one of Annabelle's hands. The two ladies watched as a beautiful smile erupted on the maid's face.

The Queen sighed contently. "I will deal with anything as long as my son remains in love with that girl. And, I highly doubt there will be a time when he wouldn't be."

  ♛  

Prince Alexander walked slowly to the library where his father was already waiting for him. After his mother refused to be the one to tell King Adam about Annabelle, she urged Alexander to tell him himself. Alexander did not see why his mother was so hesitant about telling his father. Surely he would not stand in his son's way of marrying the girl he loved.

Right?

He chased his thoughts away as soon as he came to the library. Noticing that the door was already open, he took in the faint chatter coming from inside. He racked his brain for information on guests coming to the castle.

"Ah, Alexander," his father immediately noticed his presence when he poked his head through the opening. "You took your time coming here."

"I apologize--" his sentence was cut off by a deafening squeal.

"Alexander!"

Hearing the overly familiar voice, Alexander turned around to see the face of the Grand Duke and his only daughter, Lady Penelope. Because of the close relation of their families, Penelope and Alexander had grown up together and were also very good friends.

"Penelope," Alexander smiled when the red haired girl engulfed him in a giant hug. "How did travelling around the world go?"

She flicked her hair around and pouted her crimson coated lips. "It was good, but I missed your ball."

"That evening was definitely something special." The King chuckled behind them when he saw his son struggling to say something.

"I heard you finally found the princess you were looking for," Penelope smiled, but there was something behind her eyes that Alexander could not quite put a word on. "And, congratulations, you are getting married."

The young prince sighed, he saw no use of continuing with the lie anymore. He had to tell them, especially his father. The King noticed the distraught look on Alexander's face and raised his eyebrows.

"Father, there is something I need to tell you," he started, taking a deep breath. The air in the room suddenly felt thicker.

Lady Penelope was looking at Alexander with intense eyes, as if she was trying to read his mind. But no matter how many times she tried, she could never decode him. He might have been the only man she could never truly understand. That was the reason why she was also madly in love with him.

"I will not be marrying Princess Gwendolyn." he finally said, feeling the weight on his chest lift a little. He still had one other secret to tell.

His sudden revelation earned a few gasps. Lady Penelope hid the smirk that tried to appear on her face.

"But, son," the King grabbed his shoulder in distress. "What changed your mind?"

"She is not the one I want to marry," he confessed the truth. He turned around to face his father. "I am in love with another girl."

Lady Penelope looked at him with her big hopeful eyes, as the Grand Duke asked him, "Who's the lucky girl, then?"

Their conversation was interrupted by a knock on the library door. Inside came the Queen and Princess Gwendolyn, along with the girl Alexander was in love with.

But, they did not know that.

Not yet, anyway.