Epilogue

"I feel safe when you're holding me near."

♫ Hearts Don't Break Around Here - Ed Sheeran ♫ 

  ♛  

One year later

"Where is he?"

"He's been informed, Your Highness," the anxious maid tried to relax the brunette girl pacing the room. 

Annabelle yelped and clutched her swollen belly. The maid was by her side in seconds, helping her to the bed. 

"It's time," she breathed through the pain. "Please fetch the midwife. And, Madam Mary. I need her here, as well."

The maid gave her an uncertain look as Annabelle groaned in pain again. "I will be fine. Please go and find them."

When the maid finally left, she heard her frantically screaming into the hallways, "The baby is coming!" 

Annabelle did not know whether to chuckle or cry from the pain she was feeling. Other than the pain, an overwhelming sense of fear was rising in her chest from the absence of Alexander. The moment the baby would be born was just as important to him as it was to her. But, he was on a trip and she just did not know if he was informed in time to get back. 

As the pain grew bigger, she wished he was there to hold her hand and whisper warm words to her. 

Madam Mary and the midwife arrived as soon as they found out. The elderly maid was by the girl's head in no time, as the midwife prepared for the delivery of the baby. Annabelle breathed deeply, her hands squeezing the silky sheets beneath her.

"You are doing great, my dear," Madam Mary offered comforting words, though her heart clenched watching Annabelle cry out in pain. 

"I-I cannot do this," said the princess, growing scared as each second passed. The pain of the delivery was taking a toll on her physically. But, not having Alexander near her was what made her scared. 

"Push, Your Highness!" the midwife urged the girl. Annabelle shook her head frantically, as another jolt of pain shook her whole body.  

When the hot tears started running down her cheeks, she whispered mostly to herself, "Please come back to me, Alexander."

  ♛  

Prince Alexander was wearing his heart on his sleeve as he urgently ordered the coachman of the carriage to get him back to the castle. As soon as the news of Annabelle being in labor reached his ears, his chest started feeling tight from his frantic thoughts. His hands shook and he cursed himself for not being around his princess when she needed him the most.  

"I am doing the best I can, Your Highness," the coachman called out to Alexander, making him sigh. It was just his luck to be travelling in the worst weather possible. 

That winter was the coldest of them all. Each time Alexander looked out of the carriage's window, he saw nothing but thick snow falling around them. 

Suddenly, the carriage abruptly stopped. He could hear the frantic screeching of the horses upfront. "What the bloody hell is happening?"

"It's a little girl, Your Highness," the coachman answered. "The horses almost toppled her over."

Alexander frantically opened the carriage door, his boots crunching on the snow underneath him as he took cautious steps towards the girl. The thin clothes were barely hanging onto her small body as she shivered visibly in front of him. He frowned.