XV

"I just want to love you like it's all I'm living for."

Keeping Score - Dan + Shay ♫

Annabelle's injury was fortunately a minor one, though it seemed huge to certain people from the castle. After she was checked by a doctor as per the prince's urgent request, he quickly concluded that a simple ointment will cure the burn in no time. That was the reason why she was back at doing her chores in the span of two days.

"You promised me you'd take care of yourself," Alexander had said to her one morning in their secret garden, after Annabelle successfully searched the whole place to see if anyone was around. "You burned yourself pretty badly, yet here you are working when you are not even supposed to."

She smiled up at him, putting a hand on his cheek. It lit a fire inside him every time she'd touch him. She still felt surreal to him. "I am completely fine, as you can see. And, I am still a maid. It is my obligation." 

"Anna," he sighed, dropping his forehead on hers. "I just want to tell the world that you are mine, already. I don't want to keep you a secret."  

"All good things come to those who wait." said Annabelle, gently kissing him. She could feel him smile against her lips, making her heartbeat quicken up. She was used to him having that effect on her. Her feelings for him, although still very foreign, were growing even more stronger day by day.

"I wish I did not have to go on this trip with my father," the prince said once he pulled away from Annabelle's warm embrace. "I fear I'll miss you too much."

He was aware of how weak he sounded in front of her, but he could not find it in him to care. She broke down the walls of his heart long time ago. It was only a matter of time until she completely lived in it.

"You will be back in fortnight," she gently reminded him, chuckling when she saw him pout like a little child. "And, I will be here waiting for you with open arms."

"How did I get so lucky?"

Annabelle looked at the prince. The bright sun was right behind him, rays of sunshine hitting his unruly hair in a way that he reminded her of an angel. "I have been asking myself that exact question, my prince."

  ♛  

That evening, the young maid watched as the King's carriage left the castle. For a moment there she wished she had let Alexander tell everybody about them, just so she could have kissed him one last time before he left. But, waiting was the right thing to do. 

Nobody was ready, yet.

Just as she was going back to her room, where Madam Mary was waiting for her with a tray full of warm comfort food, she stumbled upon Lady Penelope. The read haired girl was leaning against a window with a sorrowful expression on her face. 

"Miss Anna," the girl immediately said once she sensed the maid. "Do you happen to know how long the prince will take to come back?"

Annabelle cleared her throat and shook her head. She did know, but she was not about to let the daughter of the Duke be suspicious of her. 

"Shame," she sighed, leaning against the window again. "He has not changed since I last saw him, I suppose."

Intense curiosity sparked up inside Annabelle that she could not help but ask, "What must you mean by that, Your Grace?"

"Well," Penelope laughed, but the maid failed to trace any humor in that. "I should not say this for he is the prince, but between me and you, he used to be quite the ladies man. He still is, if you ask me."

Annabelle's stomach dropped but she chose to ignore that. "His Highness is nothing but kind and generous. I doubt those rumors are true."

"I never said he wasn't, Miss Anna," the red head turned around to face her. "But, what even was that scandal about his missing princess? Pray tell me, miss."

"It is not in my place to share that kind of information, Your Grace." 

"Oh?" Penelope raised a thin red eyebrow at the maid. "I am afraid you are starting to think of me too lowly from this conversation, Miss Anna."

Annabelle was quick to reject that notion. "Certainly not, Your Grace."

"Believe what you want, but I know how charming Alexander can be. Some might even say, too charming," she smiled ruefully. "It will come to no surprise if he brings another princess back from his trip." 

Annabelle bit down on her lip so hard that she could almost taste blood. Why was Lady Penelope doing this? If she had been Alexander's friend for many a years, why was she badmouthing him? 

"Your Grace, I must be going--"

"Do not fret, Miss Anna. For even if he does bring a new princess in this castle, there is no doubt he will drop her exactly like he did with Princess Gwendolyn."

What do you think of this chapter? Lol same. Let me know in the comments bellow if you like my story so far!