XXII

"I know this sounds crazy, but this could be fate."

  ♫ With You - Tyler Shaw ♫ 

  ♛  

There was an unspeakable silence that followed the prince's arrival in Annabelle's home. He stood at the doorway, the crowd of people behind him growing bigger and bigger. The guards struggled to keep everybody in order, as all they wanted was to find out what the prince was doing there. 

"Your Highness," Annabelle's mother was the first to speak. She bowed down in front of him. "Do come inside, please."

"You needn't come with me from now on," The prince had said to his guards before dismissing them. The chatter outside grew even louder. He stepped inside the house and reached out for the hand of Annabelle's mother. Planting a chaste kiss on top of it out of politeness, everybody in the room watched as the elderly woman blush from the prince's gallant act. "Thank you for inviting me in your home, Madam."

Annabelle's mother looked like she was about to faint. The young maid fought hard not to giggle. 

The prince, then, turned to the men of the house. As soon as his eyes landed on them, they quickly bowed. Alexander frowned, putting both hands on their shoulders to stop them. "Please, you do not have to do that!"

"Your Highness," Annabelle's father looked at the prince incredulously. "To what do we owe the pleasure of your visit?"

Alexander threw a playful glance at the girl behind him, to which she blushed and smiled shyly. 

"We already told you that the girl you are looking for is not here," Jamie spoke up, receiving a stern look from his father. His mother turned and scolded him. "Be polite, Jamie!"

Jamie grumbled under his breath and slumped his shoulders, "I apologize, Your Highness." 

"It is quite alright," the prince said with a chuckle. "But, forgive me for asking, are you quite sure she is not here?"

"Of course, Your Highness," Annabelle's father answered first. "Unless you are talking about my daughter, which I highly doubt so. For goodness sake, that girl is no princess. Hell, she didn't even know how to fold clothes up until two years ago--"

"Arnold." His wife interrupted him. Annabelle's face looked like she just swallowed a lemon. Alexander smirked playfully at her, before returning his gaze towards her father. Jamie, having connected the dots already, cocked his head in amusement. 

Annabelle's father was still oblivious of what was going on. "What is it, dear?"

"He is talking about our daughter, Arnie." 

Arnold's face broke out into a flabbergasted expression. "But, that is just impossible!"

"It's very much the truth," said the prince, nodding his head. "I was looking for her."

"But, she's a maid!" 

"I know."

"She comes from a simple commoner's family!"

"I know." 

"She has no dowry!"

"I know."

"She's just a country girl!" 

"I know. And, I love that about her." 

That seemed to shut Annabelle's father up. He looked at the prince with glistening eyes. "Do you really mean that, Your Highness?"

"With all my heart," he answered, putting a hand on the area of his chest where his heart was. "She's not just a country girl. She is also the sweetest, kindest and most beautiful girl I have ever met." 

"Your Highness," Annabelle's mother was teary eyed as she squeezed the prince's hand. "I have never heard such kind words about my daughter." 

"Please, call me Alexander from now on."

Annabelle's father was still too shocked to say anything. Jamie nudged him, urging him to talk. "I just do not know what to do."

Alexander and Annabelle looked at each other. He smiled at her, his eyes immediately calming the nervous feeling in her stomach. She let out a deep breath, completely trusting him. 

"You could start by letting me marry your daughter."

Gasps filled the room. Annabelle's cheeks felt like they were burning up. Her father made a choking sound. 

"Are you saying that you are here to ask for Annabelle's hand?" He urgently asked. Annabelle sighed quietly behind her father, her fingers clenching the maid dress she was wearing. 

"That is exactly what I'm saying, sir."

"And, are you sure about this?"

"Without a doubt." 

Annabelle's father let out a breath he did not know he was holding. Looking down at his daughter, he smiled proudly and kissed the top of her head. Then, he grabbed her hand and pulled her to stand next to the prince. He cleared his throat and said, "Welcome to the family, Prince Alexander."

Alexander's face broke into the happiest of smile. He cupped Annabelle's burning cheeks and kissed her forehead. "We did it, my love."

Congratulations were filling up the room now. Annabelle's mother was hugging her daughter tightly, emotions overwhelming both of them. Her father was trying very hard not to cry as he watched them. 

Jamie, on the other hand, tapped the prince's shoulder. "Did you think I'd let you get away with my little sister that easily?"

"Ah, yes. I expected this," Alexander chuckled, a playful glint in his eyes. Annabelle wrapped an arm around the prince's waist and narrowed her eyes at her brother. "Behave yourself, Jamie." 

"Don't worry, Anna. I can see how happy you both are," he smiled cheekily. "But, if he ever breaks your heart or hurts you, I will not hesitate to castrate--"

"Jamie!"

The prince just laughed, squeezing Annabelle further next to him. "I would never even dream of it." 

The new and beautiful cover of my book is made by @bluenudibranch !! She's an amazing writer, so please go and check out her book The Heavenly Seal! 

Btw, who's your favorite character of this story? Mine is prince Alexander :) *swoons*

Thank you again for reading! Don't forget to vote if you liked the chapter :) xx