XIX

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough."

♫ I Won't Give Up - Jason Mraz ♫ 

  ♛  

Annabelle and the prince were back in their secret garden once again. He had his arms wrapped tightly around her, as if he was afraid she'd disappear if he did not hold her. They had been standing in comfortable silence like that, until Alexander decided to bring up the subject of telling their parents about them. 

"W-what if your parents don't accept me?"

"They will."

"How can you know that?"

"Do you trust me?"

Annabelle raised her head from Alexander's chest to look at him. Loving blue eyes were already looking down at her, waiting for an answer. 

"I do." She had answered truthfully, her lips already breaking into a smile.

Alexander chuckled at her response, and kissed the top of her head. "Save that kind of answer for another time, my darling." 

The maid confusedly looked at him until realization finally hit her. Blushing furiously, she hid her face in the crook of his neck. "Must you tease me like this?"

"I love seeing you blush," said Alexander, tightening his grip around her further. Suddenly, he noticed the smile fading away from her face. "What is it, love?"

"Lady Penelope," she stated with a frown. She briefly remembered the red haired girl storming off in fury earlier. "What will happen to her?"

The prince sighed, putting his chin on top of the girl's head. "I suppose she would be banished from ever stepping foot in this castle."

"You simply cannot do that." Annabelle said, momentarily pulling away from the him. The maid just did not want any more scandals happening in the castle once they reveal their secret. Also, she pitied Lady Penelope. The red haired girl was lacking love in her life to that extent that she tried to manipulate people. Banishing her from the castle would only make it worse.  

Alexander tried reminding her, "Annabelle, she did horrible things to us."  

"I know that," she whispered, putting a hand on his cheek. "But, she is also the daughter of the Duke."

"That still does not justify the things she did."

"It certainly does not," replied Annabelle. "But please, for my sake, just leave her be."

Alexander sighed, running a hand through his hair. Looking down, he saw the emerald eyes of the girl he loved stare at him intently. "Alright. I will have to talk to her, though. I don't want her putting crazy ideas in our heads again."

"She won't," she smiled, kissing the prince's cheek. "We won't let her."

  ♛  

The next morning, Alexander found his parents being served breakfast in the big dining room. His mother quickly leaped to her feet when she saw him, a scene that was vaguely familiar in his mind by now. 

"Alexander, you ought to not disappear on us anymore," she scolded him, grabbing his hand and pulling him to the table. "Eat your breakfast, please."

His father was next to speak, waving his hand nonchalantly in the air. "Do not tell me you have been looking for that princess, again." 

"I wanted to talk to you on that subject, actually."

Matching blue eyes locked together, as King Adam raised his eyebrows at his son to urge him to continue. 

"I found her, Father," Alexander started, the corners of his lips pulling up. "I finally found her."

"You did?" His father asked in disbelief. Getting no reaction from the Queen was weird to him, so he turned around to face her. "I am guessing you already knew that, my dear. Why did you not tell me?"

"It was not mine to tell." She simply answered, hiding the smile on her face with a handkerchief. 

King Adam returned his gaze towards his son. "Who is that girl, then?" 

Alexander took a deep breath to calm his nerves down. The idea of his father not taking the news very well did not occur to him until he was right in front of the King and saw the intent look on his face. 

"Annabelle," finally answered Alexander. "Her name is Annabelle."

"And, where is she now?"

Alexander was about to answer when the doors opened and a couple of maids and servants came in with more breakfast. He smiled when he saw the shy look on Annabelle's face. He quickly went up to her and grabbed her hand, unaware of the gasps his action caused. His only focus was her.

"This is Annabelle." he said, pulling her towards the table. The tension in the room was undeniable. The help all stared at the scene in front of them in disbelief.

The King, then, rose from the chair to look at his son. The hand that Alexander held was shaking hard in his grip, for Annabelle had never been so nervous in her entire life. She knew Alexander was going to tell them sooner or later, but she did not think she'd be there to witness everything. The last thing she wanted to hear was the rejection by the prince's parents.

"Are you telling me that you rejected a marriage with a princess because of a -- " he stopped and looked at the girl Alexander was holding. Whispers were heard from the maids. "Maid?"

Alexander could feel his temper flaring. He narrowed his eyes at his father. "I am in love with her, Father." 

"Adam, be reasonable." The Queen put her hand on her husband's arm. He looked down at her, an unrecognizable emotion passing through his eyes.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty," said Annabelle suddenly, making everybody turn around to look at her. Alexander squeezed her hand even tighter. "It was never in my intention to upset you or your family. I am very grateful that you provided me with the opportunity to work for you."

"Annabelle--" the prince started to speak but she cut him off by continuing her speech.

"If it was not for this job, I would not have been able to help my family. For that, I am forever in your debt."

Queen Katherine stood up and went towards the maid. "Oh, dear Annabelle. You could never be in our debt."

"I do not want to cause any trouble," Annabelle admitted, her eyes already watering. "But, I really do love your son as much as he loves me. Maybe, even more."

"Impossible," he murmured beside her, wiping the few lone tears away from her face with his hand. 

The King stayed quiet as he watched things unfold in front of him. He clenched and unclenched his fists. But, he was not as angry as he was nervous. Until, he finally spoke. "I do not think I expressed myself correctly earlier."

Everybody turned to look at him. Alexander's jaw tightened as he watched his father clear his throat.

"I was once in love with a maid, as well."

I HIT 1K READS OMG!!! Thank you so so so much to everyone who has ever taken time to read my story. I appreciate you all a lot!