XVIII

"You love me for who I am, like the stars hold the moon."

♫  When I Look At You - Miley Cyrus ♫

Spring in the Winchester castle went by as quickly as it came. Summer air filled each corner, enhancing the beauty of those stony walls even more. It all seemed ironic to Annabelle, though. Summer always reminded her of days filled with laughter and happiness. Instead, all she felt was sadness. 

It had been a week since she last talked to Alexander. 

Annabelle knew that avoiding him was not an answer to their problems, but she just could not face him. Truth was, she feared talking to him. She felt that her mind was not in the right place, and if she would to talk to him, she would say things she'd regret. 

It hurt too much that Alexander did not trust her. Lying was one of the things she hated most in her life, and there he was, accusing her of the same. 

She sighed and leaned against the railing of a balcony. It had been a hard week of trying to avoid Alexander and the rest of the Royal family. Though the Queen and King knew nothing, she was still hesitant to show her face in front of them. 

The sound of footsteps made Annabelle tense up. 

"Miss Annabelle." 

She turned around to see Princess Gwendolyn standing behind her. 

"Your Highness," she immediately curtsied in front of her. The fair haired girl nodded her head and smiled in return.

"Prince Alexander has been looking for you," she said to Annabelle with a chuckle. "Why are you doing this to the poor man?"

Annabelle looked away, suddenly feeling embarrassed in front of the princess. 

"He talked to me, Annabelle. He told me everything that happened."

The maid did not say anything still. She just kept nervously toying with her fingers. The princess walked around the balcony until she was seated on a marble bench.

"Do you know I'll be going back to my kingdom tomorrow?" 

"Oh," Annabelle finally spoke. "I am deeply sorry that you must leave us so soon, Your Highness. I have enjoyed your presence."

It was the truth. Princess Gwendolyn, though she was shy at times, was a really friendly and sweet girl. Especially to the maid. She had been nothing but kind to her. 

"I am sad to be leaving, too," she sighed, her gloved hand playing with a strand of her hair. "Do you know why, Miss Annabelle?"

The maid shook her head immediately. 

"Once I return to my palace, I would be forced to marry a man I do not love," she started, a sad look on her face. "My father was furious after he found out I would not be marrying Alexander. He had quickly arranged someone else to take my hand."

Annabelle felt a sudden guilt. "I apologize, Your Highness. If it wasn't for me--"

"No," Princess Gwendolyn quickly cut off her speech. "It is not your fault, dear Miss Anna. Even if I had married Alexander, I would still be unhappy. And, I doubt he would've been happy either." 

It took a while for Annabelle to say something, but when she did, her eyes had already filled with tears. 

"He did not trust me," Annabelle said sadly, her voice quivering. But, she did not want to cry. She cried enough since she met him. "It is not supposed to be this hard."