XX

"Take my hand and my heart and soul, I will only have these eyes for you."

♫ One - Ed Sheeran ♫ 

  ♛  

The King dismissed the overly talkative group of maids and servants with one stern look on his face. They quickly scattered and left the dining room. He turned around to face his wife, his son and the girl his son was in love with. Queen Katherine had a sad look on her face.

"Well?" Alexander urged at his father to continue. 

"She was a servant's daughter. We practically grew up together...."

King Adam's flashback, 25 years before.

He paced back and forth in the corridor, waiting for her to come. He needed to see her. He needed to touch her one last time.

"Adam." 

The sound of her sweet voice made his heart race. He quickly turned around to see the maid's already tear soaked face. 

Reaching up to touch his cheek, she stopped herself halfway. He was not hers to touch anymore. "Y-You are getting married."

"I cannot even begin to explain how sorry I am," his voice was low and hoarse. "My father, he--"

"Adam, I understand," she said, without missing a beat. "We both knew from the beginning we could never be together."

Another tear rolled down her cheek. He quickly wiped it. "It was not supposed to be like this. Please, forgive me."

"I cannot forgive you," she whispered softly. "You have not done anything wrong for me to forgive you."

Adam stayed silent, looking at her face and memorizing her delicate features. He leaned his forehead against hers and sighed. 

"You will be happier with her, Adam," she tried to smile at him. "You'll forget about me eventually."

"That is simply impossible. I will never forget about you."

She wrapped her arms tightly around him, and he reciprocated the action. "Neither will I. But, time will pass and this will hurt less."

"I don't think--"

"Adam, will you promise me something?"

"Of course, my dear."

She raised her head to kiss him. He sighed, her kiss feeling like the last goodbye. "Promise me that you will try to love that woman with every beat of your heart."

"You are not serious!" He gasped.

"I just want to see you happy," she urged, gently stroking his cheek. "If you truly love me, promise me that." 

Adam pulled away to look at her. His stomach clenched and clenched at the thought of him loving another woman except her. But, one look at her warm eyes and he had to give in. 

"I promise."

After telling the story, the King looked around and frowned at the scene in front of him. Annabelle was silently crying in the prince's arms. His own wife was struggling not to cry as well, her eyes brimming with tears. He went up to her and grabbed her hands. 

"You have never told me this, Adam." 

"Don't fret, my darling," he whispered, kissing her forehead. "She was my first love, but you will always be my greatest one."

Queen Katherine sighed, her lips finally pulling up into a sad smile. 

"Forgive me for asking, Father," Alexander was the one to speak next. "But, why couldn't you be with her?" 

The King looked at his son holding the girl in his arms, and smiled. 

"You may not remember your grandfather, Alexander," he started to explain. "But, he was a very strict ruler and an even stricter father."

When King Adam saw the distraught look on Annabelle's face, he chuckled. "Stop your crying, Miss Annabelle. I am not like my father. I will never come between my son's happiness." 

Alexander's face broke out in a huge smile. He pulled Annabelle even closer to him. 

Annabelle was struggling to believe everything. She kept wondering if she was in a sweet dream. But, one look at Alexander's face and she realized that she was not dreaming it. She was living it. 

"Is this really happening?" She asked incredulously. The prince cupped her cheeks with both of his hands. 

"It really is, my love." 

The King pulled his wife towards him and kissed her cheek. They both smiled at the young couple in front of them. 

"Oh, Alexander," the Queen spoke, gathering her son's attention towards her. "Do not forget that you ought to ask Miss Annabelle's father for her hand."

Annabelle's eyes widened and she felt heat coming towards her cheeks. "Your Majesty, that is not necess--"

"Nonsense, Miss Annabelle," King Adam chuckled as he watched the girl's face turning as red as a tomato. "It is a tradition in this family. He has do to it."

"I will do it," Alexander immediately said, never taking his eyes off Annabelle. "Just pick the day, love. We will go together."

   ♛  

On her way back to her room, Annabelle's stomach kept swarming with butterflies. She looked down at her shaky hands and tried to calm herself. It was an amazing feeling to know that she could be with the man she loved. 

But, there was something on her mind that bothered her a bit.

When she entered the room, she found Madam Mary sitting behind her sewing machine. The elderly maid looked up to her, grinning when she saw the flushed look on Annabelle's face. 

"I'm guessing you are carrying good news to me, my dear Anna."

The young girl quickly nodded her head, the big enchanting smile evident on her face. "They approve of us, Madam Mary."

"That's so wonderful," Madam Mary quickly stood up, engulfing Annabelle in a big hug. Her eyes watered. "After everything you've been through, dear, you deserve it very much."

"Thank you," she whispered, then briefly pulled away to look at the maid in front of her. "I wanted to ask you something, Madam Mary."

The elderly maid nodded, smiling at the girl. Then, Annabelle asked the one question she never expected to hear from her. 

"Why haven't you told me that you and the King were once in love, too?"

What do you think of this chapter? :) Let me know in the comments!