XXV

"I just want to love you when the day is gone."

♫ I Do - Susie Suh

  ♛  

"Would you please tell me where we are headed, my prince?" the young maid had asked the gentleman walking in front of her, clutching her hand so that she would not fall. The reason behind that was that the young maid's eyes were covered with a dark handkerchief. 

"Be patient, my love," the prince softly whispered, as he continued leading her down a path. "We're almost there."

Annabelle bit her lip in anticipation, trying to make sense of the prince's sudden urge for adventure. Taking a deep breath, she felt the sweet evening air filling up her lungs. The hand that was holding hers ever so gently sent tingles up her spine. She was amazed at how his touch still had an enormous effect on her body, even after everything they had been through. "Are we--"

"Shhh," Alexander stopped to a halt, and put a finger on her lips to silence her. "We're here."

She felt his fingers going agonizingly slow up her cheeks until they reached the silky material that was wrapped around her head. The familiar heat came racing to her face as he steadily unwrapped the handkerchief.  The first thing she saw were his eccentric bright eyes that always seemed to carry a playful glint when they looked at her.

Then, she gasped. 

Around them was the beautiful garden they used to visit, only now it was decorated with bright fairy lights that twinkled under the night's sky. In the center of the garden stood a table, neatly decorated with plates, food, and a big vase filled with white roses. There were flower petals that led to the table, and they seemed to be responsible for the sweet scent that engulfed Annabelle's senses. 

"My prince, what is all this about?" she had asked, continuously turning around just to catch the whole scenery. Everything seemed so....magical

"You ask too many questions," Alexander smiled down at her and ran his fingers through her soft hair. She flushed under his touch, returning his smile with a shy one. Then, he cocked his head to the side and said, "Annabelle?

She immediately replied, "Yes?"

"You seem to be too shy to say my name." 

He watched as the girl's face turned as red as a tomato, and chuckled. "Say my name, Annabelle," he said, cupping her burning cheeks and leaving tantalizing kisses on both of them. "Say it."

"I-I," she stuttered, goosebumps rising on her skin. He looked into her eyes so intently that she felt like melting under his gaze. "Alexander."

His face broke into a huge smile, one that Annabelle loved seeing, especially when she was the reason behind it. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him. "Now, was that so difficult to do?"

She giggled and quickly shook her head. "I should do it more often." 

"Oh, don't fret," he said, giving her a wink that made her legs tremble. "I'll make sure it becomes a habit."

Ignoring the flustered look that appeared on Annabelle's face, he pulled her towards the table and pulled out a chair for her. She gladly sat down, mostly because she felt like her shaky legs would give out any second. 

"Alexander," she shyly said, watching him smirk at the mention of his name again. "This is all very lovely. Thank you."

In mere seconds, he answered, "You deserve it."

Then, he leaned down and briefly kissed her. He let his lips linger for a few seconds before he pulled away, watching as the breathtaking smile took over her face. That was when Annabelle noticed him still standing. "Why aren't you sitting down?"

"I was going to, but--" he cut himself off, gazing right down at the sitting girl. 

"But what?" she curiously asked, her eyebrows furrowing in a way that made her look adorable to the prince. He took in a deep breath. 

"I simply cannot wait any longer, Annabelle," said he, and for the first time in his life, he felt nervous. Annabelle was about to ask him what he meant by that, when her breath hitched in her throat. 

Alexander had knelt on one knee in front of her. 

Her hands had raised up to cover her mouth. When she saw him pull out a velvet black box from his coat, her green eyes started watering. 

"Once upon a time, there was a ball," he started, clearing his throat. "The sole purpose of the ball was for a fellow prince to choose a bride. But, he did not want that, did he?"

He stopped to watch her bottom lip quiver. Then, he continued, "And, then, he met a girl. She was quirky and she was witty, yet she hid shyly behind her hair. She intrigued him. He knew from the start that there was something about her that pulled him in...."

A tear rolled down Annabelle's cheek. 

"But, then, she disappeared. She made him question his sanity, if she was even real to begin with. He almost lost his mind trying to find a girl that he had only seen once in his life. Or, so he thought,"

"Forgive me--"

"Don't apologize, darling, for nothing could have beaten the feeling he got when he realized that she was there all along. She were there, in his castle, hiding in the nooks and crannies as she once told him," he said the last line with a chuckle. Annabelle smiled through her tears. He continued with his speech as if he was telling a tale as old as time. "He finally got to hold her and all the weight he felt in his chest had dissipated the moment she confessed that she loved him."

"I do love you,"

He sighed contently, his own eyes watering, "He found her at a time when he was not even looking. And, now he's here, kneeling right in front of her and asking her to marry him. For there is no one he would rather have by his side."

Annabelle wiped the fallen tears away from her face as the prince opened the small box to reveal a shiny diamond ring. Blue eyes looked at her expectantly, making her feel sensations throughout her whole body. She leaped forward and caught his lips with hers. 

"She would love nothing more than that."

This chapter is dedicated to my number one supporter @TiareCalvo <3 Thank you for being there for me and this story since the beginning and I wouldn't have gotten to here, writing this chapter, if it wasn't for your constant encouragement. Love you, mi amiga!!!!!

On another note, what are your thoughts on this chapter? I kept writing and rewriting until I finally finished it in the way I thought was good.

Also, a big thank you to everyone who has taken time to read my book so far!!! <3