Chapter Eight

We're almost to my dad's house. Miles rubs circles on the back of my hand anxiously.

"Now look who's the nervous one." I say giving him a look. He shakes his head.

"I'm not nervous." He says defensively. I stare at him and he quickly looks at me before returning his eyes to the road. "I'm not." He says.

"Okay." I say looking back at the road. He continues rubbing circles on the back of my hand.

I knock on the door. A tall blonde boy with dark blue eyes. This must be Ryan. The last time I saw him be was a tiny nine year old. Now he's 13 and at least 5 foot 6.

"Ryan?" He nods and I hug him. "Dude you've gotten so tall." I say.

"Are you sure you haven't gotten shorter?" He asks I punch him lightly in the arm and we go inside. Sure enough there is my dad and Hunter cleaning out their guns on the couch Christy and I'm assuming Kaitlyn are in the kitchen making dinner.

Last time I saw any of them was before I moved to New York. Hunter was 13 and Kaitlyn was 11. Now Hunter is 17 and Kaitlyn is 15. My dad has started getting even more grey hairs and Christy looks exactly like she did when I left.

Miles gulps looking at the guns on the couch. Ryan sits down and cleans his gun as well. I laugh at them and they all stare at me, Miles included.

"What are you laughing at?" Dad asks. I stare at him.

"This stupid attempt of scaring off my boyfriend." I say.

"Oh sweetie I'm sorry about that. I tried to talk them out of it but they didn't listen." Christy says. She walks into the living room with Kaitlyn on her heels. She hugs me.

"It's fine Christy." I hug Kaitlyn and then introduce Miles to every one. "So Miles do you want to see my gun then?" I ask. He laughs.

"Sure why not?" I take my gun out of Ryan's hands and sit down showing him the different parts of the gun.

"I was planning on taking the boys out to the range tomorrow. You can come with us if you want." My dad says. I look at Miles. He nods and wraps his arms around my waist.

"That would be great sir." He says. Did he just call my dad sir? We eat dinner and I take Miles out to the pasture. My dad now has three horses because he managed to start growing his own hay which saved him a lot of money in the long run.

"This is dad's oldest horse, Snickers. He's pretty old. I've been riding him since I was 10." I say petting the older brown house with a carmel colored mane and tail.

"The dark brown one over there with the black mane and tail is Chance. He's been in the family since he was born. Be was originally my grandparents' horse."

"And this is Olaf." I say petting the white horse with the white mane and tail. "She's my horse. I broke her in when I was 16. My dad said that when I get a big enough place I could move her out to there and he'll buy a new one." Miles pets Olaf's nose.

"I can't wait. She seems great." He says.

"She is." I reply. "She's also really spunky though." I say. "They're all a little spunky because they're Arabian but she's more so." Miles intertwines his fingers with mine. I smile at him. "Do you want to take them for a ride?" I ask.

"Sure." He replies. I walk us back to the house and grab a lead rope and a brush. I hand them to Miles. Next I grab a bridle and a pad.

"Hey dad, I need to borrow your saddle." I yell.

"Okay." He yells back. I hand Miles all the gear and grab one of the saddles. It's quite heavy but I'm used to the weight of it by now.

"No, B you carry the light stuff and I'll carry the heavy stuff." Miles interrupts putting the gear down.