⊱⊰ 36: Capricorn [Revised] ⊱⊰

"Are you okay?" asked a calming voice.

Garoh blinked twice and gazed at the young woman that had her arms wrapped around his, meeting her brown eyes. "Hm?"

The young lady smiled and glanced at the soil that had a mixture of yellow foliage and green grass. A brief moment of silence fell as they walked in the calm woods.

"You have been spacing out since the guards left us alone," said the princess shyly. "Actually you barely spoke since we left the palace. Is something bothering you in these woods?"

Garoh took a deep breath as he examined his surroundings. Most of the trees had thin trunks and displayed leaves that varied from dark pink to orange; a small number of green trees could be spotted here and there. Seeing this environment only brought him pain as this place only reminded him of her.

It was a special place for him. After all, it was in these woods where they had their first date and with time it became their favorite spot for their secret encounters.

It was the first time he stepped in these woods after returning from the Forbidden Lands. He never thought he would walk around here so soon as he had been avoiding visiting places he had spent time with his lover. He always felt that he wasn't ready to visit those special places, yet this stranger had the courage to ask for a tour in this forest.

"Why did you want to visit the Chang'e Woods so badly?" asked Garoh, dodging her question.

Saranyu glanced around with curiosity. "I have read so many great things about Lunara. This forest is the one that piqued my curiosity and wanted to visit it on the first day."

As their eyes met, Saranyu smiled warmly and tightened her arms around his. As the birds' chirping filled the silence, Garoh thought the princess was cute. He actually found her cute when her older sister introduced her to his family. But that was it. Judging by her behavior in their meeting and how her older sister spoke about her, Garoh could see that Saranyu had a spoiled personality. A woman like that wasn't his type.

"Why did you dismiss the guards right before we reached the lake?" he asked.

Not that he would need someone to protect him, but he was curious why a princess from a rival country would dismiss security to spend time with a stranger.

"I wanted to know you better without the guards watching," she replied, her tone calm. "It will be easier for us to open up."

Garoh's brows raised at that answer. He looked away, thinking that maybe he should be more friendly and not run away from this marriage right away.

His boots sank in the damp soil as they kept walking for several minutes on their way to one of Lunara's famous lakes. As they strolled, Garoh glanced around, feeling uneasy.

He then stopped and sniffed the air around him. The musky, slightly moldy scent met his nose, but a faint sweet smell that at times faded bothered him. Despite sensing the sweet scent weakly, he thought it was familiar.

Could she be here?

"What's wrong?"

Garoh examined his surroundings. He then looked at Saranyu. "Nothing. I just felt as if someone is watching us."

Garoh raised his guard as they resumed their trip.

"Hm," said Saranyu, looking around. "Could it be that the guards didn't listen to my orders and are watching us in the shadows?"

"That would be great," said Garoh.

Saranyu gazed at him, frowning.

Garoh meant his words. The guards watching them in the shadows wouldn't be bad since he suspected that the one who was watching them was someone dangerous. He hoped that his gut feeling was wrong.