⊱⊰ 37: Virgo's Wish [Revised] ⊱⊰

Virgo regained her pose, smiling at the people in front of her.

Garoh shook his head. As if your sudden good manners would fool anyone.

"I'm guessing that you're here to finish what you've started in the Forbidden Lands." Garoh readied himself for a possible battle. He couldn't let his guard down with a powerful opponent like her.

"Hm. More or less," said Virgo, tilting her head. "I was hoping that my dear friend, Saranyu would do that for me."

Garoh gazed at the dark-haired girl not far from him. "Saranyu?"

When their eyes met, Garoh saw nervousness mixed with confusion on the princess' expression.

Saranyu gazed at Virgo, still confused. "What do you mean by that?"

As a quick silence fell, Virgo sighed.

"You were supposed to give the fan as a gift to His Highness," said Virgo, her voice sweet. "After that, you had to bring him here so that the Crow King could kill him and set you free from the arranged marriage. I thought everything was clear in our last chat. I should've expected that you wouldn't follow all the steps."

As Virgo shook her rose-like head, Garoh glanced at Saranyu, shocked. Saranyu didn't look back at him, instead, she looked at the messy grassy ground.

Garoh understood her feelings towards the arranged marriage, after all, he had been against it ever since he was told about it. But for Saranyu to make plans of killing him in order to be free from it crossed the line. What kind of being would go as far as to mess with the relations between the two countries like this?

"You didn't say that the prince's life would be taken." Saranyu broke the silence. "You said you needed the fan to perform a spell that would change the prince's feelings."

Garoh frowned. "Change my feelings? Why would you want to change my feelings?"

Saranyu didn't drop her gaze from the ground, fidgeting with her dress.

"I'm sorry," she said, her tone quiet. "I was told to accept my fate as I was the only one who was complaining about the arranged marriage."

Garoh shook his head. "Whoever told you that, lied to you. I've always been against this marriage and even was thinking of talking to you about that matter."

Saranyu gained the courage to look at him, her brows arching.

"But seeing that you went so far as to seek help from this talking plant, shows how selfish you are," said Garoh, his tone serious. "You shouldn't trust help from random strangers as they're always up to something, isn't it, Virgo?"

Virgo smiled. "Oh, Your Highness. You know, sometimes I just want to help a lost soul. I have to do a good deed once in a while."

Virgo winked at him. Garoh let escape a quick chuckle, not believing how the Guardian representing the maiden could act so sweet and innocent after revealing that she was planning to kill him.

"Since the fan has been taken again," said the Crow King, his tone serious, "I will have to kill all of you to retrieve it."

More dark winged creatures painted the sky as the King pointed at the people below them with his golden rod. The creatures didn't hesitate and flew towards their targets.

"This is going to be fun~" sang Virgo, gesturing her hands.

"Careful." Garoh grabbed Saranyu as a light earthquake struck the land.

Saranyu screamed and wrapped her arms around Garoh, trembling. When he realized what had scared her, Garoh held her hand and rushed away from the spot as a head grew under their feet.